January 9, 2021 at 8:40 am #635130
I lost my 2017 Chevy Silverado. The dealer quoted my about $495 for a replacement. Any ideas will be highly appreciated.
January 11, 2021 at 4:44 am #635244
just wanted to update you, in case it happens to you as well, here is what i found out:
I guess there is a huge difference between different keys, models, etc.
Also locksmiths and dealers charge different amounts for the very same key.
It helped me save a lot of money (more than $150).
Generally speaking, to get a replacement key, you have three options:
1. Call an automotive locksmith that offers a mobile service for cars. Here is a phone number for a company that have many different locations and locksmiths: 800-223-1453. I think the work all around the US but not sure. Give them a call and ask.
2. Tow the car to the dealer.
3. Order a key online and have the dealer or locksmith cut and program it for you (if necessary).
Here is the link to read more:
If you do call a locksmith or the dealer, don’t forget to mention some important information so they will check if they have the key blank and the necessary tools to code you the new key:
1. Year, make and model of the car
2. Your exact location including street address and zip (for the locksmith to find you easily)
3. VIN number of the car located on the dashboard – very important
4. Make sure you can show them proof of ownership – otherwise they will not make you a new replacement key.
Regarding the cost, it really depends on the type of key you had.
There are 3 main types of keys:
Non-chip keys: for older models (mostly 2000 and older)
Transponder chip keys – these types of keys must be coded on site with a special machine, otherwise the car wont start. These are more expensive to make
Key fob – push to start – these are the most expensive types of keys. Mostly made for models made after 2015.
The average cost is somewhere between $180-$450. It also depends on your location, time of day, weekend, etc etc.
Here is the link for some additional information:
Of course, i hope you wont need it 😉
January 11, 2021 at 8:49 pm #635388
You can always go to the dealer store where you purchase it. Also, the car comes with two keys so if ever you misplace one you can always use the spare key.
You must be logged in to reply to this topic.