2022 GMC Sierra 1500
The 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 marks the fourth model year of the fourth-generation Sierra 1500 light-duty pickup truck and receives a mid-cycle refresh which ushers in new trim levels, an updated exterior and interior, new technology – such as Super Cruise – slight revisions to the powertrain offerings, and more.
Meanwhile, the 2022 GMC Sierra Limited will enter the model lineup as a stop-gap measure until production of the refreshed Sierra begins. As such, the 2022 Sierra Limited is essentially a continuation of the 2021 GMC Sierra 1500, with the same trim levels, options, exterior paint colors, and interior color combinations.
Notably, GMC brand took a similar approach with the arrival of the fourth-gen Sierra 1500 for the 2019 model year. At the time, the all-new T1-platformed truck was accompanied by a Sierra 1500 Limited model, which was a K2-platformed model offered exclusively in the Double Cab configuration.
To clarify, Chevy refers to the 2022 Silverado 1500 Limited with the LTD moniker, however, GMC does not make use of the abbreviation.
|Assembly Location||GM Silao Assembly in Silao, Mexico and GM Fort Wayne Assembly in Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA|
|Body Style(s)||Light-Duty Pickup Truck|
|Engine(s)||Turbo 2.7L I4 (Gas), 5.3L L84 V8, 6.2L L87 V8, 3.0 LM2 Duramax I6 (Diesel)|
|Transmission(s)||8-Speed Auto, 10-Speed Auto|
|Drive Wheels||Rear-Wheel-Drive, Four-Wheel-Drive|
|Availability||U.S.A., Canada, Mexico|
|Predecessor||2021 GMC Sierra 1500|
|Successor||2023 GMC Sierra 1500|
Changes, Updates, New Features
- Addition of AT4X trim level
- Addition of Denali Ultimate trim level
- Addition of Standard Bed with Regular Cab configuration
- Addition of 3 years of GMC Connected Services standard on AT4, AT4X, Denali and Denali Ultimate trims
- Revised front and rear fascias
- Addition of LED headlamps and taillamps with fade-on/fade-off animation
- Addition of 3 exterior color options:
- Deletion of 3 exterior color options:
- Addition of 7 wheel sets
- Addition of Rain Sense Wipers
- Addition of Rocker Protection (LPO-level item)
- Addition of Super Cruise for select trim levels
- Addition of Automatic Emergency Braking
- Addition of Trailer Side Blind Zone Alert
- Addition of Rear Cross Traffic Braking
- Addition of Buckle to Drive
- Addition of 13.4-inch diagonal Premium GMC Infotainment System with Google built-in
- Addition of 12.3-inch diagonal multicolor driver information center
- Addition of Bose Premium Series with 12-speaker surround
- Addition of Driver and Passenger 16-way power seat adjusters including lumbar and massage functionality
- Addition of power rake/telescoping steering column
- Turbocharged 2.7L L3B I4 High-Output engine updated to 430 lb-ft of torque
- Addition of Driver selectable e-locking front and rear differentials
- Addition of Off-Road with suspension 2-inch factory installed lift and Multimatic DSSV dampers
- Addition of 10-speed automatic transmission with Electronic Precision Shift
- Addition of Electronic Precision Shift and steering column paddle shifters
- Addition of GMC Pro Safety
- Addition of 1SA Safety Plus Package
- Addition of Sierra Safety Plus Package
- Addition of Elevation Premium Package
- Addition of Denali Reserve Package
- Addition of Denali Reserve Super Cruise Package
- Addition of Connectivity and Entertainment Package on Pro trim level
- Max Trailering Package now available with 3.0L LM2 I6 Turbo-Diesel Duramax engine
See detailed 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 changes, updates and new features here: 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 change log.
The updates and changes described here are specific to the U.S. market and may differ for other markets.
Models & Trims
|Trim level:||Pro||SLE||Elevation (2WD)||Elevation (4WD)||SLT||AT4||AT4 X||Denali||Denali Ultimate|
The 2022 Sierra 1500 sees the introduction of the Denali Ultimate and AT4X trim levels.
- Crew Cab with Short Bed (2WD and 4WD)
- Crew Cab with Standard Bed (4WD)
- Double Cab with Standard Bed (2WD and 4WD)
- Regular Cab with Standard Bed (2WD and 4WD)
- Regular Cab with Long Bed (2WD and 4WD)
- Denali Ultimate
The first-ever Sierra Denali Ultimate trim is the most advanced and most luxurious pickup in its class, taking the popular Denali sub-brand to an even higher threshold of capable luxury. Notably, the Denali Ultimate moniker was previously used to designate a package rather than a trim level.
The newly introduced pickup truck features unique exterior styling cues plus exclusive interior trim and features, and is complemented with even more standard equipment, including first-in-class available trailering-capable Super Cruise and the segment-exclusive CarbonPro composite cargo box, offering best-in-class short-bed cargo volume as well as GMC’s six-way MultiPro tailgate, the Denali Premium Suspension with segment-exclusive Adaptive Ride Control, and power assist steps are standard.
On the outside, the Denali Ultimate is distinguished by an exterior featuring a unique grille in exclusive Vader chrome, along with exclusive 22-inch wheels finished in Low Gloss Black with machined accents, Vader chrome GMC logo and unique front fender trim featuring Mount Denali.
On the inside, the Denali Ultimate’s Alpine Umber interior builds on the already luxurious Denali cabin, with full-grain leather appointments and open-pore Paldao wood trim. The wood’s darkened finish creates a distinctive color blend, while the unique graining adds bespoke attention to detail.
Additional content includes:
- Leather-trimmed instrument panel
- Full-grain leather-wrapped door panels with etched stainless-steel speaker grilles
- Full-grain leather-wrapped console lid
- Full-grain leather front and rear seats with the Denali Ultimate badge on the front seatbacks
- Premium microsuede headliner, visors and A- and B-pillar trim along with leather-wrapped A- and B-pillar handles
- All-new best-in-class 16-way power-adjustable and massaging front seats
- All-new 12-speaker BoseP remium series with Center Point surround technology with AudioPilot and Richbass woofer
- Standard Rear Camera Mirror with full camera display
- Standard 15-inch-diagonal multicolor Head-Up Display
- Standard power sunroof
- Embossed and laser-etched across the interior are a number of topographical maps of the summit of Mount Denali, the highest peak in North America
- These maps can be found laser-etched on to the open-pore Paldao wood on the front passenger-side dashboard, in the full-grain leather on the front and back of the front seats, rear seat and door panels, as well as on the exterior fender vent badges.
When it comes to propulsion, the Sierra Denali Ultimate’s standard engine is the 6.2L L87 EcoTec3 V8 and it is matched with a 10-speed automatic transmission featuring Electronic Precision Shift. Four-wheel drive, with an electronically controlled two-speed transfer case, is standard.
The all-new Sierra AT4X continues GMC’s efforts to break ground in the premium truck category. The Sierra AT4X is a balanced execution that delivers advanced off-road capability when called upon without compromising the on-road comfort, tech, towing, and payload capability expected from a premium pickup.
To note, the AT4X’s payload capability is up to 1,420 pounds and its trailering rating is up to 8,900 pounds.
- Standard 6.2L L87 EcoTec3 V8 engine and 10-speed automatic transmission with Electronic Precision shift
- Unique Multimatic DSSV spool-valve dampers
- Unique springs that, with the Multimatic dampers, increase maximum front and rear suspension travel by 50 mm and 25 mm, respectively, compared to the standard AT4 suspension
- Two-speed transfer case, with selectable modes for different off-road conditions
- Includes Terrain Mode, which allows one-pedal rock crawling
- Front and rear e-locking differentials, a combination not offered by any other competitor in its class
- Specific off-road chassis and suspension calibrations
- Unique, larger steel transfer case shield
- 18-inch black wheels with LT265/70R18 Goodyear Wrangler DuraTrac Mud-Terrain tires
- Available rocker guard accessory
The functional features are complemented with a unique, luxury-focused AT4X Obsidian Rush interior that balances the off-roader’s capability with comfort and convenience. The cabin is finished with premium leather, including full-grain leather-wrapped and technical grain leather accents, all of which is highlighted with white piping and red stitching.
The interior also features authentic, dark Vanta ash wood trim, best-in-class 16-way power-adjustable and massaging front seats, a premium microsuede headliner, a 15-inch-diagonal Head-Up Display, power sliding rear window, power sunroof, a 12-speaker Bose Premium Series audio system with Center Point technology and more.
In addition to the distinctive design cues of the Sierra Denali Ultimate and Sierra AT4X, the vast majority of the 2022 Sierra lineup is elevated with styling and design updates, inside and out. Exterior highlights include:
- Revised front bumper, fascia, grille designs and finishes on each trim
- New dual-projector LED headlamps, along with a revised execution of GMC’s signature C-shaped daytime running lamps, giving the Sierra a bolder, wider appearance
- Animated lighting sequences that activate when approaching, starting or walking away from the truck
- New wheel designs on SLT and Denali
- Three new exterior colors (extra cost):
- Titanium Rush Metallic
- Dynamic Blue Metallic
- Desert Sand Metallic
That said, the 2022 Sierra retains professional-grade features that underpin its capability, including the available, industry-first six-function MultiPro tailgate, the available CarbonPro carbon fiber composite bed, which provides more short-bed cargo bed volume than any other competitor; 63.9 cubic feet to be exact.
Inside, GMC designers affixed the refreshed refreshed Sierra 1500 with new interiors on SLE, Elevation and SLT trims, as well as unique premium interior designs for AT4, AT4X, Denali and Denali Ultimate trims. There are also new color and stitching designs throughout, with more premium materials throughout the cabin.
Additional interior highlights include:
- All-new 13.4-inch-diagonal horizontal infotainment10 touchscreen (standard on SLE trim and above)
- All-new 12.3-inch-diagonal digital, configurable instrument cluster (standard on SLE trim and above)
- A new center console design
- All-new Electronic Precision Shift on models with front bucket seats
- A column shifter is available on models equipped with a front bench seat
- Newly available Elevation Premium Package that includes a Jet Black leather-appointed interior with bucket seats, rear seat with storage, Sierra Safety Plus Package, spray-on bedliner, and more
- New power-adjustable steering column is standard on up-level trims
Of course, the refreshed 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 offers plenty of other new tech.
The Sierra 1500 now offers Super Cruise as a standard feature on the Sierra Denali Ultimate and includes a three-year subscription to enable the functionality. Additionally, Super Cruise is also available on Sierra Denali models. It is the industry’s first true hands-free driver-assistance technology for compatible roads, and it can be used on more than 200,000 miles (320,000 km) of compatible roads in the U.S. and Canada.
Trailering-capable Super Cruise adds to the Sierra’s class-leading roster of trailering assistance technologies, which also include up to 14 available camera views, including Transparent Trailer, GCW Alert, in-vehicle trailering app and more. The new GCW Alert will signal when the maximum weight the Sierra can safely carry is exceeded and signal when the vehicle may be overloaded.
The 2022 Sierra also offers additional safety and driver-assistance features with trailering in mind, including Trailer Side Blind Zone Alert, which accounts for the length of the trailer when changing lanes and enhancements to Adaptive Cruise Control in order to enable use while trailering.
Additionally, GMC Pro Safety is standard and includes:
- Forward Collision Alert
- Automatic Emergency Braking
- Front Pedestrian Braking
- Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert
- Following Distance Indicator
- IntelliBeam automatic high beams.
The centerpiece of the 2022 Sierra SLE, Elevation, SLT, AT4, AT4X, Denali, and Denali Ultimate models’ redesigned interior is an all-new and customizable 13.4-inch-diagonal horizontal touchscreen, along with a 12.3-inch-diagonal digital, configurable instrument cluster. Together, they provide users with incredible levels of personalization and intuitive engagement, starting the moment the driver slides behind the wheel and the driver information center comes to life. A multicolor 15-inch-diagonal Head-Up Display is also available.
Those personalization options allow customers to prioritize their views and even have two areas of information, to display navigation and trailering details simultaneously, for example, with the option to prioritize one over the other. Or, the customer can choose full-screen navigation, or entertainment or other options. It’s all about enabling a more personalized experience that enhances comfort and convenience.
Additionally, the Sierra comes with Google built-in compatibility (standard on all trims except Pro), with three years of service included with AT4 and Denali trims. With it, many of a user’s favorite phone features are available in the vehicle through the infotainment system, including Google Maps, Google Assistant and Google Play. With Google Assistant, drivers can use their voice to get directions, play their favorite podcasts, control vehicle functions and more, allowing drivers to keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
Google built-in is compatible with both Apple and Android devices, working with and complementing existing connectivity features such as wireless Apple CarPlay and Android Auto, as well as available Amazon Alexa, which is standard on SLE, Elevation, SLT, AT4, AT4X, Denali, and Denali Ultimate models.
The 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 offers the following engine and transmission choices carried over from the 2021 model year, with exception to the turbocharged 2.7L L3B I4 which receives a torque increase:
|Engine||Fuel||Aspiration||Transmission||Horsepower @ RPM||Torque @ RPM||Axle Ratio|
|2.7L L3B I4||Gasoline||Turbocharged||8-Speed Automatic (MQE)||310 @ 5600||430 @ 1500||3.42|
|5.3L L84 EcoTec3 V8||Gasoline||Atmospheric||2WD 8-Speed Automatic (MQE) / 4WD 10-Speed Automatic (MQB)||355 @ 5600||383 @ 4100||3.42|
|6.2L L87 EcoTec3 V8||Gasoline||Atmospheric||10-Speed Automatic (MQB)||420 @ 5600||460 @ 4100||3.23|
|3.0L LM2 Duramax I6||Diesel||Turbocharged||10-Speed Automatic (MQB)||277 @ 3750||460 @ 1500||3.23|
The 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 continues to ride on the GM T1 platform shared most directly with the 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500. The same basic architecture is also used on the 2021 Chevrolet Tahoe, 2021 Chevrolet Suburban, 2021 GMC Yukon and Yukon XL, and 2021 Cadillac Escalade and Escalade ESV.
The 2022 Sierra 1500 model will be assembled at the following factories:
Production of the refreshed 2022 Sierra 1500 is set to begin between February and March.
Order books for the refreshed 2022 Sierra 1500 will open in December, GM Authority has learned from sources familiar with the matter.
See GMC Sierra sales numbers for all markets, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, and more.
We expect the fourth-generation Sierra 1500 to remain in production through the 2025 model year.
An all-new, next-generation Chevy Silverado will most likely launch after the 2025 model year.
Discuss the 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 in our GMC forum.
Sierra 1500 News
Set to arrive late in the 2023 model year.