2020 GMC Sierra
The GMC Sierra receives the following changes for the 2020 model year:
- Minor updates to the Sierra 1500 light duty model
- A complete overhaul (redesign and re-engineering) of the Sierra 2500HD and 3500HD Heavy Duty models
2020 GMC Sierra 1500
An all-new, fourth-generation Sierra Light Duty was released for the 2019 model year. The updated Sierra 1500 receives minor changes and updates for the 2020 model year:
- Deletion of Chrome Appearance Package
- Smokey Quartz Metallic replaced with Carbon Black Metallic in second quarter of 2020
- Two new wheel options
- New Trailer Tow Mirrors
- New all-weather floor liners
- New Bed View Camera
- Revised availability of 10-speed automatic transmission
- 2.7-liter Turbo Engine now available on base (1SA) models
- New Carbon Pro Edition availability and content
- New Sierra Value Package
- New Denali Ultimate Package content
- New Technology Package Content
- New Driver Alert Package II content
- New HD Surround Vision option with two Trailer View Camera provisions
- New Camera-Based Adaptive Cruise Control System
See the complete list of 2020 GMC Sierra 1500 changes and updates.
2020 GMC Sierra 2500HD & 3500HD
The 2020 Sierra Heavy Duty receives a complete overhaul (redesign and re-engineering), aligning it with the exterior, interior, convenience and capability features of the all-new, fourth-gen Sierra 1500. As such, the new model is the strongest, most capable Sierra HD ever, with a max towing capability increases an enormous 52 percent to an available 35,500 pounds.
GMC says the all-new Sierra HD is “bigger, stronger and smarter,” and that it combines greater trailering capability with technologies designed to provide customers with a world-class towing experience.
“The all-new 2020 Sierra HD is the most capable heavy-duty truck that we’ve ever offered,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global GMC. “For customers who demand a premium, innovative heavy-duty truck that supports their passions, the next-generation Sierra HD can pull like a pro.”
Here are some highlights of the all-new 2020 Sierra HD:
- Introduction of the all-new Sierra AT4 HD model
- Available MultiPro tailgate
- Available CarbonPro box
- More integrated placement of DEF tank that disguises it better than K2 models
- Improved CornerStep rear bumper
- New box access step ahead of the wheel wells
- High-tech LED front headlights
- LED lighting signatures in the front (Daytime Running Lights) and taillights
- New interior design
- Introduction of next-generation GMC infotainment system (third-generation)
- Introduction of new towing tools
The 2020 GMC Sierra HD is offered with the following engine and transmission choices:
|Engine||Fuel||Aspiration||Transmission||Horsepower @ RPM||Torque @ RPM||Axle|
|6.6L L8T V8||Gasoline||Naturally Aspirated||6-Speed Automatic (MYD)||401 @ 5200||464 @ 4000||3.73|
|6.6L Duramax L5P V8||Diesel||Turbocharged||10-speed Automatic (MGM, MGU)||445 @ 2800||910 @ 1600||3.42|
2020 Sierra Lineup
|Category:||Light Duty||Heavy Duty||Heavy Duty|
|Model:||Sierra 1500||Sierra 2500HD||Sierra 3500HD|
|Max Payload:||1,570 – 2,080||3,332 – 3,862||4,013 – 6,894|
|Max Towing:||6,600 – 12,000||14,500 – 18,500||14,500 – 32,000|
- The 2020 Sierra Light Duty rides on the GM T1 platform shared most directly with the 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The same basic architecture will also used on the 2021 Chevrolet Tahoe/2021 Chevrolet Suburban, 2021 GMC Yukon, and 2021 Cadillac Escalade.
- The 2020 Sierra Heavy Duty rides on a more capable version of the same GM T1 platform
The 2020 Sierra is assembled at the following factories:
- GM Flint Assembly in Flint, Michigan, USA (LD and HD)
- GM Fort Wayne Assembly in Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA (LD and HD)
- GM Silao Assembly in Silao, Mexico (LD)
In addition, the GM Oshawa Assembly (plant #2) in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada builds the last-generation K2 models through at least the end of the 2018 calendar year.
A note on production for the 2020 model year: sources familiar with GM’s production operations have told GMA that the automaker has instructed dealers to no longer accept orders for Regular or Double Cab units of the 2020 GMC Sierra HD. Other configurations that will not be available to order are Chassis Cab / Box Delete units, 2WD trucks equipped with the 6.6L V8 L5P turbo-diesel Duramax engine. The restrictions went into effect in June and will remain in place until production of the 2021 GMC Sierra HD begins in the fourth quarter of 2020.
The 2020 Sierra has the following availability:
- 2020 Sierra 1500 – second quarter 2019 launch (carry-over model with some changes)
- 2020 Sierra HD – third quarter 2019 launch (all-new model)
We expect the following future for the Sierra beyond the 2020 model year:
- The light-duty Sierra 1500, now in its fourth generation as of the 2019 model year, should remain in production thru the 2025 model year
- The heavy-duty Sierra 2500HD and 3500HD, in their fourth generation as of the 2020 model year, should remain in production thru the 2026 model year
An all-new, next GMC Sierra will launch after the aforementioned models reach the end of their respective lifecycles.
Discuss the 2020 GMC Sierra in our GMC forum.
- 2020 GMC Sierra 1500
- 2020 GMC Sierra HD