2019 GMC Sierra Elevation
The Sierra Elevation entered the model lineup with the arrival of the fifth-generation 2019 GMC Sierra, delivering a unique appearance and features.
|Assembly Location||GM Fort Wayne Assembly in Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA and GM Silao Plant in Mexico|
|Body Style(s)||Light-Duty Pickup Trucks|
|Engine(s)||2.7L L3B I4, 5.3L L84 V8, 3.0L LM2 I6 Duramax (Diesel)|
|Transmission(s)||Allison 6-Speed Auto, 6-Speed Auto, 8-Speed Auto|
|Drive Wheels||Rear-Wheel-Drive, Four-Wheel-Drive|
|Availability||U.S.A., Canada, Mexico|
|Predecessor||2018 GMC Sierra 1500|
|Successor||2020 GMC Sierra 1500|
The Sierra Elevation is identified by distinct monochromatic or black styling details.
- Door handles
- Grille surround
- Grille insert
- Tow hooks
- Side window trim
- 20-inch aluminum wheels
- Roof-mounted comms antenna
As with other modern GMC vehicles, advanced lighting technology plays a key role in the appearance of the 2019 Sierra Elevation. The front is defined by standard LED reflector headlamps with incandescent turn signals and LED signature Daytime Running Lamps with C-shaped “light blades”. They are complemented by standard LED fog lamps. The rear features standard LED taillight and stop lights with incandescent reverse light.
“The 2019 Sierra Elevation conveys a youthful, athletic presence that demonstrates GMC’s tailored approach,” said Rich Latek, GMC marketing director. “With inherent truck capabilities and functionality, Elevation is able to take you off the beaten path along with your gear while standing out from the pack.”
The Sierra Elevation was available in the Double Cab and Crew Cab body styles. Notably, the model was initially expected to be exclusive to the Double Cab trim level.
The 2019 Sierra Elevation will be offered in either two- or four-wheel-drive configurations. Using the Traction Select System, the driver can choose from preset modes designed for distinct purposes or conditions. Selecting one of these modes adjusts Sierra’s transmission shift points, throttle mapping and other systems to optimize performance for the situation at hand. Tour mode, for instance, is ideal for everyday driving, while Terrain mode configures the Sierra for venturing off the beaten path.
For those who frequently venture off-road, Sierra Elevation is available with the X31 Off Road package, which includes:
- Off-road suspension with Rancho shocks
- Locking rear differential
- Hill Descent Control
- Protective underbody skidplates
- Heavy-duty air filter
- Dual outlet exhaust system
- Two-speed transfer case with low-range gearing
- All-terrain tires
- X31 hard badge
From the get-go, the 2019 Sierra Elevation was also designed with trailering in mind. The available ProGrade Trailering System incorporates a number of innovative features, including:
- An advanced available Trailering App designed to help take the guesswork out of connecting and towing a trailer, including hitch guidance with hitch view
- Trailer tire pressure monitoring system
On the Sierra Elevation, selecting the ProGrade Trailering system also requires selecting the SLE Preferred Package, Max Trailering Package or Trailering Package and Trailer brake controller.
The Sierra Elevation is available with three engine and transmission configurations:
- Standard: all-new 2.7-liter turbocharged inline four-cylinder engine (RPO code L3B) paired with an improved eight-speed automatic transmission delivering 310 horsepower and 348 pound-feet of torque.
- Optional: updated 5.3-liter V-8 EcoTec3 engine (RPO code L84) mated to the same eight-speed automatic transmission delivering 355 horsepower and 383 pound-feet of torque. The engine uses a new Dynamic Fuel Management system that enables the engine to operate on one to eight cylinders, depending on demand, to optimize power and efficiency.
- Optional: all-new 3.0-liter Duramax turbo-diesel inline-six-cylinder engine (RPO code LM2) mated to the new GM 10-speed automatic transmission delivering 277 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque. This powertrain combination will become available in early 2019.
|Engine||Fuel||Aspiration||Transmission||Horsepower @ RPM||Torque @ RPM||Axle Ratio|
|2.7L L3B I4||Gasoline||Turbocharged||8-Speed Automatic (MQE)||310 @ 5600||348 @ 1500-4000||3.42|
|5.3L L84 EcoTec3 V8||Gasoline||Atmospheric||2WD 8-Speed Automatic (MQE) / 4WD 10-Speed Automatic (MQB)||355 @ 5600||383 @ 4100||3.42|
|3.0L LM2 Duramax I6||Diesel||Turbocharged||10-Speed Automatic (MQB)||277 @ 3750||460 @ 1500||3.23|
The Sierra Elevation was engineered to get passengers and their gear, such as kayaks, camping equipment, mountain bikes, motorcycles or beyond – where they need to go. To that end, the model builds on the foundation of the 89.1 cubic feet of best-in-class cargo volume standard with every 2019 Sierra with a standard box.
The box features more tie-downs, enhanced cargo lighting and larger cutouts for the CornerStep bumper, making the task of loading and securing gear easier than ever. A 120V outlet in the rear supplies power to equipment needed for a day at the campsite or on the trails.
GearOn rails are available as accessories, allowing for bike racks, kayak carriers and other accessories to be installed or adjusted quickly and easily. The rails’ integrated position makes cargo more accessible and frees up space in the rest of the box.
Inside, the 2019 Sierra Elevation features a standard 8-inch diagonal display running the GMC Infotainment System, which incorporates Android Auto and Apple CarPlay compatibility. Also standard is a six-speaker audio system.
Customers can upgrade to a premium GMC Infotainment System that incorporates a higher resolution touchscreen, advanced personalization features, voice recognition functionality and available in-vehicle apps, along with a 7-speaker Bose premium audio system.
USB Type A and Type C ports for charging mobile devices are standard.
Like all units of the 2019 GMC Sierra 1500, the 2019 Sierra Elevation rides on the new GM T1 platform shared with the following vehicles:
- 2019 Chevrolet Silverado
- 2020 Chevrolet Tahoe
- 2020 Chevrolet Suburban
- 2020 GMC Yukon
- 2020 Cadillac Escalade
The 2019 Sierra was assembled at the following factories:
- GM Flint Assembly in Flint, Michigan, USA (HD)
- GM Fort Wayne Assembly in Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA (LD)
- GM Silao Assembly in Silao, Mexico (LD)
In addition, the GM Oshawa Assembly (plant #2) in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada built the last-generation K2 models through at least the end of the 2018 calendar year.
The 2019 GMC Sierra Elevation went on sale in the fall of 2018.
Discuss the 2019 GMC Sierra Elevation in our GMC forum.
Delayed a few months.
Outperforming the segment even more this time around.