2019 GMC Sierra Denali 1500
The GMC Sierra Denali 1500 is all-new for the 2019 model year, delivering a completely overhauled (redesigned and re-engineered) truck, with bold design and segment-leading technologies, while advancing Denali’s legacy as the pinnacle of GMC design, capability and refinement.
GMC says that the 2019 Sierra Denali is distinguished by bold design and segment-leading technologies, once again redefining the premium pickup, while advancing Denali’s legacy as the pinnacle of GMC design, capability and refinement.
“GMC ignited the premium truck segment 17 years ago with the original launch of the Sierra Denali,” said Duncan Aldred, vice president of Global GMC. “The next generation 2019 Sierra Denali establishes a new benchmark in capability and refinement. It exemplifies precision in every detail.”
|Assembly Location||GM Fort Wayne Assembly in Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA and GM Silao Plant in Mexico|
|Body Style(s)||Light-Duty Pickup Trucks|
|Engine(s)||5.3L L84 V8, 6.2L L87 V8, 3.0L LM2 I6 Duramax (Diesel)|
|Transmission(s)||8-Speed Auto, 10-Speed Auto|
|Drive Wheels||Rear-Wheel-Drive, Four-Wheel-Drive|
|Availability||U.S.A., Canada, Mexico|
|Predecessor||2018 GMC Sierra 1500|
|Successor||2020 GMC Sierra 1500|
The 2019 Sierra Denali 1500 introduces a new design language for GMC trucks.
The all-new truck stands taller and more confident. Powerful proportions are complemented by hallmark details such as a chrome grille with a sharp, precise dimensional pattern that epitomizes the truck’s attention to detail, making the exterior unmistakably Sierra Denali.
“The next generation Sierra Denali has a deliberate, commanding presence,” said Matt Noone, director of design, GMC Exteriors. “Its unmistakable design embodies the essence of GMC, while advancing the brand’s core styling elements — rooted in inherent capability — with a new expression of its signature cues.”
The all-new 2019 Sierra Denali shows refinement and strength through a larger, more-dominant upright grille, a taller hood, and a bolder, more defined take on GMC’s C-shaped lighting signature.
Advanced lighting technology sets the Sierra Denali apart from other trucks on the road thanks to a new revised front lighting signature that features a prominent “light blade”. Besides providing a bold and unmistakable appearance, the front lighting signatures deliver uniform LED illumination for the daytime running lamps. LEDs are also used for the headlamps, taillamps, fog lamps and other illuminative elements, with lenses constructed from durable material with an almost crystalline quality.
The 2019 GMC Sierra half-ton is larger than its predecessor in virtually every dimension. Its presence is accentuated by the larger grille and dramatic lighting. The wheels are pushed out to the corners and wear larger diameter tires, with the Denali wearing available 22-inch Ultra Bright aluminum wheels
New, more prominent badging includes a bold DENALI nameplate on the tailgate, below the GMC badge, is expressed in a new block-style typeface that echoes the truck’s strong proportions.
The 2019 Sierra Denali makes strategic use of materials, including:
- Aluminum for the doors, hood and tailgate, and
- Steel for the fenders, roof and standard cargo box
The end result is a weight savings of 360 pounds (163 kg) compared to the previous model. What’s more, the 2019 Sierra Denali offers a carbon fiber bed that offers more durability and even further weight savings.
The 2019 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 features a driver-focused interior that strengthens GMC’s reputation for refinement and sophistication with premium materials, improved interior space and innovative storage solutions.
The cabin tops the segment with best-in-class front head- and legroom (in their maximum settings), delivering a more spacious and driver-centric environment finished with premium materials.
The new truck puts the driver at the center of the experience thanks to a higher seating position that offers a confident view behind the wheel. The optimized ergonomics emphasize easy, intuitive interaction with the vehicle’s technologies, such as the all-new Trailering App and segment-first Head-Up Display.
Denali-exclusive materials include premium leather-appointed seating, authentic open-pore wood trim and dark-finish aluminum decor, all of which raise the refinement of the interior to a new level. The exclusive leather appointments have a distinctive, large-pebbled grain with a contrasting stitch pattern that is both premium in appearance and touch without sacrificing durability. What’s more, the wood trim features an open-pore texture evocative of hand-planed furniture.
The 2019 Sierra Denali has nearly three inches of additional rear-seat legroom compared to the outgoing model. The outboard rear seat backs open to reveal rectangular storage spaces large enough for storing tablets or laptops, tie-down cords, umbrellas or other important accessories.
Also new on the 2019 model are rear-seat HVAC vents for cooling and heating, as well as heated outboard rear seats. Two USB ports are found on the rear of the center console, including a Type C and Type A connector.
The 2019 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 features a new and dynamic infotainment system that that offers a smartphone-like experience with an intuitive interface, faster response and improved voice recognition. In the Sierra Denali, the system is accessed via a standard 8-inch diagonal system includes navigation.
Additionally, the 2019 Sierra Denali delivers purposeful segment-leading technologies and exclusive features, including:
- New multi-functional tailgate: officially called MultiPro Tailgate, it’s the most innovative pickup tailgate ever with six unique functions and positions offering enhanced second-tier loading and load-stop solutions, a standing workstation and easier access to items in the box. The MultiPro Tailgate is a GMC exclusive as well as an industry-first.
- Carbon Fiber Pickup Box: officially called CarbonPro, developed to increase durability, efficiency and functionality while offering best-in-class dent, scratch and corrosion resistance. The CarbonPro is a GMC exclusive as well as an industry first.
- All-new ProGrade Trailering System with Trailering App: offers a comprehensive, connected suite of trailering technology that brings more confidence to the towing experience than ever before.
- Multi-Color Head-Up Display: projects key vehicle data on the windshield in a 3×7-inch display to help drivers keep their eyes on the road. The display is customizable. The Head-Up Display is a segment-first.
- Rear Camera Mirror: offers an optimized view via an available dual-function interior mirror that expands vision to overcome common visual obstructions like occupants or cargo. The first iteration of the system was first introduced in the 2016 Cadillac CT6, and the second generation features a higher resolution camera and display, as well as the ability to tilt or zoom the view. Flipping the mirror back switches the camera mirror to a conventional mirror. The Rear Camera mirror is a segment-first.
- Surround Vision: offers a bird’s-eye view of the truck by displaying an overhead image on the infotainment screen, thereby helping the driver detect potential obstacles when backing up, including when trailering
- Adaptive Ride Control: designed to provide premium driving refinement with exceptional responsiveness, Adaptive Ride Control employs sophisticated sensors to monitor road conditions and chassis responses in real time, enabling adjustments to active dampers every 2 milliseconds.
The new 2019 Sierra Denali debuts the new GMC-exclusive and industry-first MultiPro Tailgate – the segment’s most innovative tailgate ever. Standard on the 2019 Sierra Denali (and the Sierra SLT), the MultiPro Tailgate features six unique functions and positions, offering enhanced second-tier loading and load-stop solutions, a standing workstation mode and easier access to items in the box.
The MultiPro Tailgate also incorporates a step entry and egress mode that, when paired with the assist handle, offers both step and seated functionality, with a maximum weight capacity of 375 pounds (170 kg). Ease of use is enhanced with two buttons on the tailgate handle that allow convenient inner gate release.
The Sierra’s MultiPro Tailgate has undergone more testing and validation than any tailgate in GM’s history. Sierra is the first and only truck to offer the MultiPro Tailgate, providing premium truck customers the ultimate flexibility.
The 2019 Sierra Denali offers the full suite of advanced safety features, including:
- Side Blind Zone Alert
- Pedestrian Detection and Low Speed Forward Automatic Braking
Cargo & Towing
The boxes of the 2019 Sierra offer best-in-class cargo volume – 63 cubic feet (1,784 liters) on the short box, as well as additional tie-downs and a new, available 110-volt power outlet. As with the previous model, the bed is made of roll-formed, high-strength steel. However, the new model features a revised alloy that offers 50 percent more strength than the current model.
Later on in the model year, the 2019 Sierra Denali will offer an optional carbon fiber box – the CarbonPro. The box is a GMC exclusive and industry-first. Its purpose is to increase durability, efficiency and functionality of the truck.
The Sierra’s CarbonPro box replaces the standard steel inner panels and floor with a lightweight, purpose-designed carbon fiber composite that offers best-in-class dent, scratch and corrosion resistance.
“In 116 years of making GMC pickup trucks, our industry-first carbon fiber box is the toughest pickup box we have ever made,” said GMC chief Duncan Aldred.
The new CarbonPro box is 62 pounds (28 kg) lighter than the steel version, and is one example of GMC’s strategic use of materials in engineering the Sierra.
The 2019 Sierra offers a more confident towing experience thanks to GMC’s new ProGrade Trailering System, which is standard on the 2019 GMC Sierra Denali (as well as the Sierra SLT).
The trailering system includes an all-new Trailering App featuring:
- A Pre-Departure checklist
- Maintenance Reminders
- Trailer Light Test
- Trailer Electrical Diagnostics
- Trailer Tire Pressure and Temperature Monitoring
Many of the Trailering App’s functions, including the lighting test and pre-departure checklist, are also available with the MyGMC app on compatible Android and iOS smartphones, a feature that offers great convenience when outside the truck or trailer.
The all-new Sierra also offers Hitch Guidance with Hitch View and Auto Electric Park Brake to help with perfect positioning when hitching. The available side view cameras and a trailer-mounted HD camera provide additional assistance when driving down the road or in reverse.
Additionally, the exclusive Trailer Theft Detection sends owners text and mobile alerts from OnStar when the trailer has been detached from the truck without permission.
The 2019 GMC Sierra Denali is offered with the following three powertrain choices:
- Standard 5.3L V-8 L84 gasoline engine making 355 horsepower @ 5600 RPM and 383 pound-feet of torque @ 4100 RPM, mated to an 8-speed automatic transmission
- Optional 6.2L V-8 L87 gasoline engine making 425 horsepower @5600 RPM and 450 pound-feet of torque @ 4100 RPM, mated to the GM 10-speed automatic transmission
- Optional 3.0L I-6 Duramax diesel engine (power ratings to be announced) mated to the GM 10-speed automatic transmission
|Engine||Fuel||Aspiration||Transmission||Horsepower @ RPM||Torque @ RPM||Axle Ratio|
|5.3L L84 EcoTec3 V8||Gasoline||Atmospheric||2WD 8-Speed Automatic (MQE) / 4WD 10-Speed Automatic (MQB)||355 @ 5600||383 @ 4100||3.42|
|6.2L L87 EcoTec3 V8||Gasoline||Atmospheric||10-Speed Automatic (MQB)||420 @ 5600||460 @ 4100||3.23|
|3.0L LM2 Duramax I6||Diesel||Turbocharged||10-Speed Automatic (MQB)||277 @ 3750||460 @ 1500||3.23|
The gasoline engines are improved with stop/start technology, new Dynamic Fuel Management that enables the engine to operate on one to eight cylinders, depending on demand, to optimize power and efficiency.
The new 3.0L Duramax turbo-diesel, meanwhile, builds on GMC’s expertise with Duramax turbo-diesels offered in Sierra HD and Canyon models.
Chassis & Suspension
The 2019 Sierra Denali 1500 features an exclusive Adaptive Ride Control suspension system designed to provide premium driving refinement with exceptional responsiveness. It employs sophisticated sensors to monitor road conditions and chassis responses in real time, enabling adjustments to active dampers every 2 milliseconds.
The system is an improvement over the highly-praised GM Magnetic Ride Control technology.
The 2019 GMC Sierra Denali rides on the all-new GM T1 platform shared with:
- 2019 Chevrolet Silverado (2019 Silverado 1500)
- Future Chevrolet Tahoe
- Future Chevrolet Suburban
- Future GMC Yukon and GMC Yukon XL
- Future Cadillac Escalade and Cadillac Escalade ESV
The 2019 GMC Sierra Denali went on sale in North American markets in the fall of 2018.
The 2019 GMC Sierra and 2019 Sierra Denali were assembled at the GM Silao Assembly Plant in Silao, Mexico as well as the GM Fort Wayne Assembly Plant in Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA.
We expect the light-duty Sierra 1500, now in its fourth generation as of the 2019 model year, to remain in production thru the 2025 model year
An all-new, next GMC Sierra will launch after the aforementioned models reach the end of their respective lifecycles.
Discuss the 2019 GMC Sierra Denali in our GMC forum.
Targeting, and seemingly reaching, the one percent crowd. The country’s first-ever full-size pickup.
Sierra Denali News
GMC Sierra Sold Out Two Days After Its Launch In Korea
2023 GMC Sierra 1500 Denali Launches In South Korea
Targeting, and seemingly reaching, the one percent crowd.
The country’s first-ever full-size pickup.