2019 GMC Sierra
The GMC Sierra light-duty model receives a complete overhaul for the 2019 model year. Meanwhile, the third-generation Sierra HD sees its final model year.
2019 GMC Sierra 1500 Light-Duty
As stated, the 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 was completely overhauled, consisting of a redesign and re-engineering. The update comes six years after the launch of the current, third-generation Sierra, thereby marking the fourth generation of the Sierra nameplate.
Following are highlights of the 2019 GMC Sierra 1500:
- All-new platform consisting of GM’s next-generation GMT T1 platform
- All-new exterior design, incorporating the latest GMC design language and widespread use of aluminum and mixed materials, similar to the Cadillac CT6, resulting in a lower curb weight, helping improve fuel economy and overall performance
- All-new interior design, incorporating the latest best practices and improved materials
- Revamped technologies, including many items sought for by many in the third-generation Sierra, including keyless open, push-button start, and more
- Improvements to the powertrain lineup
- Lighter weight, improved fuel economy, towing and payload ratings
- Improved refinement, NVH and convenience levels
As per tradition, the 2019 Sierra has a lot in common with the 2019 Chevy Silverado, including the architecture, powertrain lineup, and more. Exterior styling will likely be substantially different between the two models, while cabin design will likely be common between both vehicles, with the biggest difference being lighting color and differences in materials.
The all-new 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 is available as a light-duty full-size pickup truck with several cab and bed configurations.
- Three Cabs:
- Regular Cab
- Double Cab
- Crew Cab
- Three Beds:
- Short Bed
- Standard Bed
- Long Bed
The 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 rides on GM’s T1 platform.
The all-new 2019 Sierra 1500 is available across North America, including Canada, United States, and Mexico. Future export to the Middle East is possible.
The pickup truck went on sale in the United States in the beginning of the 2019 calendar year.
2019 GMC Sierra HD
The 2019 GMC Sierra HD family, consisting of Sierra 2500HD and Sierra 3500HD, carries over from the 2018 model year with a few minor changes to colors, equipment, or option packages. The Sierra HD will adopt the T1 platform and design of the 2019 Sierra 1500 for the 2020 model year.
As such, the Sierra HD sees the following changes for the 2019 model year:
- Model Line
- Deletion of 2WD Regular Cab model
- Deletion of Double Cab model
- 4WD Regular Cab model is now available for base 1SA trim level
- Only applies to 2500 models
- Addition of one exterior color: Ebony Twilight Metallic
The 2019 Sierra continues to compete in the full-size mainstream pickup truck space with the following vehicles:
- Ford F-Series
- Ram Truck
- Toyota Tundra
- Nissan Titan
- GM’s own Chevrolet Silverado
- Honda Ridgeline
- The 2019 Sierra Light Duty rides on the GM T1 platform shared most directly with the 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500. The same basic architecture will also used on the 2021 Chevrolet Tahoe/2021 Chevrolet Suburban, 2021 GMC Yukon, and 2021 Cadillac Escalade.
- The 2019 Sierra Heavy Duty rides on a more capable version of the GM K2 platform
The 2019 Sierra is assembled at the following factories:
- GM Flint Assembly in Flint, Michigan, USA (LD and HD)
- GM Fort Wayne Assembly in Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA (LD and HD)
- GM Silao Assembly in Silao, Mexico (LD)
In addition, the GM Oshawa Assembly (plant #2) in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada built the last-generation K2 models through at least the end of the 2018 calendar year.
The 2019 Sierra has the following availability:
- 2019 Sierra 1500 – fourth quarter 2018 launch (carry-over model with some changes)
- 2019 Sierra HD – second quarter 2019 launch
We expect the following future for the Sierra beyond the 2020 model year:
- The light-duty Sierra 1500, now in its fourth generation as of the 2019 model year, should remain in production thru the 2025 model year
- The heavy-duty Sierra 2500HD and 3500HD, will see its final third-gen year, and enter their fourth generation as of the 2020 model year, should remain in production thru the 2026 model year
An all-new, next GMC Sierra will launch after the aforementioned models reach the end of their respective lifecycles.
Discuss the 2019 GMC Sierra in our GMC forum.
Follow our coverage of GMC Sierra news.
- 2019 GMC Sierra AT4
- 2019 GMC Sierra Colors
- 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 Base Model Colors
- 2019 GMC Sierra 1500 Diesel Colors
- 2019 GMC Sierra AT4 Colors
- 2019 GMC Sierra Denali 1500 Colors
- 2019 GMC Sierra Denali HD Colors
- 2019 GMC Sierra Elevation Colors
- 2019 GMC Sierra Exterior Colors
- 2019 GMC Sierra HD Colors
- 2019 GMC Sierra HD Diesel Colors
- 2019 GMC Sierra Limited Colors
- 2019 GMC Sierra SLE Colors
- 2019 GMC Sierra SLT Colors
- 2019 GMC Sierra Denali
- 2019 GMC Sierra Elevation
- 2019 GMC Sierra Features
- 2019 GMC Sierra Order Guide