2021 GMC Savana
The 2021 GMC Savana represents the 18th model year of the nameplate. For 2021, the Savana receives several noteworthy changes and updates, highlighted by an all-new V8 gasoline engine.
Notably, the new 6.6L V8 L8T gasoline engine replaces the outgoing 6.0L V8 L96 Vortec engine. The L8T is SAE rated at 401 horsepower and 464 pound-feet of torque for the Savana, which is 17 percent more horsepower and 24 percent more peak torque than the 6.0-liter V8 it replaces.
|Assembly Location||GM Wentzville Plant, MO, USA and Navistar Plant in Springfield, OH|
|Body Style(s)||Full-Size Van, Cutaway Van|
|Engine(s)||4.3L LV1 V6 (Gas), 6.6 L8T V8 (Gas), 2.8L Duramax LWN I4 (Diesel)|
|Transmission(s)||6-Speed Auto, 8-Speed Auto|
|Drive Wheels||Rear-Wheel-Drive, Four-By-Four|
|Availability||U.S.A., Canada, Mexico|
|Predecessor||2020 Chevy Express|
|Successor||2022 Chevy Express|
Changes, Updates, New Features
- Deletion of three exterior color options
- Deletion of unique key option for side cargo and rear doors
- Deletion of rear body-colored halo, which replaced the standard Black panel located above rear tail lamps
- Deletion of Red seat belt option
- Deletion of audio system with navigation
- Deletion of rear auxiliary heater
- Deletion of GM Commercial Link
- Deletion of two engine options
- Addition of 6.6-liter L8T V8 engine option
- Models equipped with the 4.3-liter LV1 V6 engine option see GCWR (Gross Combined Weight Rating) increase to 15,000 pounds
- The following packages now include the newly-added 6.6-liter L8T V8 engine option as well as one year of OnStar Vehicle Insights service
- Communications Package
- Safety Package
- Enhanced Convenience Package
Note: 2021 GMC Savana changes can vary from model to model, including the Cargo, Cutaway, and Passenger models. See detailed 2021 Savana changes, updates and new features here: 2021 GMC Savana change log.
The updates and changes described here are specific to the U.S. market and may be different for other markets.
The 2021 GMC Savana continues to be offered in three different body styles, including:
|Engine||Fuel||Aspiration||Drive Wheels||Transmission||Power (hp / kW @ RPM)||Torque (lb-ft / Nm @ RPM)||Axle Ratio|
|4.3L LV1 V6||Gasoline||Atmospheric||Rear-Wheel Drive||8-Speed Auto (M5U)||276 / 205.9 @ 5200||298 / 402.3 @ 3900-5200||3.42|
|6.6L L8T V8||Gasoline||Atmospheric||Rear-Wheel Drive||6-Speed Auto (MYD)||401 / 299 @ 5200||464 / 629 @ 4000||3.42|
|2.8L LWN Duramax I4||Diesel||Turbo||Rear-Wheel Drive||8-Speed Auto (MQD)||181 / 135.03 @ 5400||369 / 498.15 @ 2000||3.42|
|Model||Engine||Wheel Drive||Transmission||Power (hp / kW @ RPM)||Torque (lb-ft / Nm @ RPM)||Axle Ratio|
|139-inch Wheelbase (TG33503)||4.3L LV1 V6||Rear-Wheel Drive||8-Speed Auto (M5U)||276 / 205.9 @ 5200||298 / 402.3 @ 3900-5200||Standard 3.42, Available 3.73|
|139-inch Wheelbase (TG33503)||6.6L L8T V8||Rear-Wheel Drive||6-Speed Auto (MYD)||401 / 299 @ 5200||464 / 629 @ 4000||Available 3.42, Available 3.73|
|159-inch Wheelbase (TG33803)||6.6L L8T V8||Rear-Wheel Drive||6-Speed Auto (MYD)||401 / 299 @ 5200||464 / 629 @ 4000||Available 3.42, Available 3.73, Standard 4.101|
|179-inch Wheelbase (TG33903)||6.6L L8T V8||Rear-Wheel Drive||6-Speed Auto (MYD)||401 / 299 @ 5200||464 / 629 @ 4000||Standard 3.73, Standard 4.101|
The 2021 GMC Savana follows the regular GM model year rollover sequence and will launch in the third quarter of the 2020 calendar year in North America.
It is currently unclear when or if a next-generation GMC Savana will reach the market, though we know that the current model will continue to be sold through the 2023 calendar year. We expect the GMC Savana to continue receiving minor changes, updates, and improvements during that timeframe. An all-new replacement could arrive thereafter, potentially as an electric van.
See GMC Savana sales numbers for all markets, including the United States, Canada, and Mexico.
- GMC Savana sales figures are comprised of all Express variants, including Cargo, Cutaway, and Passenger.
- Information for market (country) specified.
- Sales information compiled from various sources by GM Authority and Motrolix.
Discuss the 2021 GMC Savana in our GMC forum.
- 2021 GMC Savana Changes, Updates, New Features