GMC Canyon AT4X
The GMC Canyon AT4X is an off-road variant (trim level) of the GMC Canyon midsize pickup. Introduced in conjunction with the third-generation GMC Canyon, the Canyon AT4X is positioned above the Canyon AT4 but below the Canyon AT4X AEV Edition, the AT4X gets more features that make the truck more capable off road.
Foreshadowed by the 2021 GMC Canyon AT4 Concept (originally named Canyon AT4 OVRLANDX concept), the Canyon AT4X features a substantial amount of off-road-focused equipment, including:
- Ultra high and wide stance
- Three-inch factory lift (10.7-inches of total ground clearance)
- Ultra-wide front-and-rear tracks
- Multimatic DSSV dampers
- 33-inch Goodyear Wrangler Territory Mud Terrain (MT) tires
- Front-and-rear electronic locking differentials
- Front skid plate
- Transfer case shield
- Rocker protectors
- Baja driving mode
- Off-road performance display
The cabin also receives several all-terrain-inspired features. The Canyon AT4X is outfitted in the exclusive Obsidian Rush colorway with Ceramic White accents, and features a customizable 11.3-inch diagonal touchscreen infotainment system and an 11-inch diagonal fully digital instrument cluster. Furthermore, AT4X models include the GMC-exclusive Head-Up Display and a seven speaker Bose stereo system.
All units of the Canyon AT4X are powered by the turbocharged 2.7L I4 L3B gasoline engine, calibrated with the High-Output tune known as TurboMax. The boosted four cylinder is rated at a healthy 310 horsepower and 430 pound-feet of torque. An updated version of the GM eight-speed automatic transmission and 4WD are standard.
Max trailering for the Canyon AT4X is 6,000 pounds, which is 1,700 pounds less than the 7,700 pound towing maximum for the third-generation GMC Canyon in other trim levels.
Production of the 2023 GMC Canyon AT4X – the first model year of the truck – kicked off in May 2023 at the GM Wentzville plant in Missouri. The 2023 model had a starting MSRP of $56,995, including the $1,495 destination freight charge (DFC).
GMC Canyon AT4X Edition 1
The 2023 GMC Canyon AT4X was also available with an optional, limited-edition package called Edition 1 that added the following features to the Canyon AT4X:
- Re-configurable bed rails (dealer-installed / LPO)
- Front 30-inch Off Road Grille Light Bar
- Off-Road front bumper with Safari Bar
- 17-inch Beadlock Capable Wheels (dealer-installed / LPO)
- Forward and Rearward underbody cameras
- Performance Front Skid Plate
- Winch by COMEUP (dealer-installed / LPO)
- Unique Edition 1 Tailgate Badge
- Accessory power distribution box
- Lighting Wiring Kit
- Accessory switch kit (dealer-installed / LPO
The TurboMax powertrain carried over from the Canyon AT4X.
The package was priced at $64,845, including a $1,495 destination freight charge, and sold out in ten minutes after order books had opened. As first reported by GM Authority, the Edition 1 package was available exclusively for the 2023 model year; it was indirectly replaced by the Canyon AT4X AEV Edition the following year.
GMC Canyon AT4X AEV Edition
For enthusiasts who want even more off-road prowess from their midsize pickup truck, General Motors introduced the GMC Canyon AT4X AEV Edition for the 2024 model year.
As its name implies, the Canyon AT4X AEV Edition was developed in conjunction with American Expedition Vehicles (AEV) and is positioned as the Canyon with the highest levels of off-road and overlanding performance. As noted above, the package indirectly replaces the Canyon AT4X Edition 1.
Features and content added to a Canyon AT4X AEV Edition beyond the “regular Canyon AT4X include:
- 4.5-inch factory lift kit (12.2 inches of total ground clearance)
- 35-inch Goodyear Wrangler Territory Mud Terrain tires
- 17-inch beadlock-capable wheels
- AEV stamped steel front bumper
- AEV stamped steel rear bumper
- Five ultra-high strength, hot-stamped Boron steel skid plates
- Unique AEV Edition badging
- AEV logo embroidered on the front headrests
The TurboMax powertrain is carried over from the Canyon AT4X.
More GMC Canyon Resources
Follow these links for more GMC Canyon information: