2021 GMC Canyon
The GMC Canyon receives a light update for the 2021 model year, consisting of updates to exterior, interior, technology and powertrain, representing the seventh model year of the second-generation Canyon.
While this light update is as close to a mid-cycle refresh/MCE as it gets, it is not an official refresh/MCE, but a light update of sorts that’s as close to an MCE as it gets. We initially expected the Canyon refresh to arrive for the 2019 and 2020 model years, neither of which took place.
|Assembly location||GM Wentzville Plant, Missouri, USA|
|Engine||2.5L I-4 LCV, 3.6L V-6 LGZ, Duramax 2.8L I-4 LWN|
|Max Horsepower||308 (LGZ)|
|Max Torque||369 (LWN)|
|Transmission||6-Speed Auto, 8-Speed Auto|
|Drive wheels||Rear-Wheel or Four-Wheel Drive|
Changes, Updates, New Features
- Deletion of Base (2SA) SL model
- Deletion of (2LT) and (4LT) SLT models
- Canyon Trim is replaced by Elevation Standard
- SLE Trim is replaced by Elevation
- All Terrain Trim is replaced by AT4
- Addition of off-road lights (LPO-level item)
- Addition of four exterior colors
- Deletion of eight exterior colors
- Deletion of three wheel options
- Deletion of Chrome Rear Bumper
- Deletion of several single, LPO-level external options
- Rear body-color bumper is standard on Elevation Standard and Elevation models
- Black beltline moldings are standard on Elevation and AT4 models
- Addition of two interior color combination
- Deletion of Jet Black with Cobalt Red interior color combination
- Deletion of ‘fasten seat belts’ label
- New standard features for entry-level model
- Revised 2.5L LCV I4, DI, DOHC, VVT engine availability
- Recovery hooks are standard on 2WD models
- Addition of High Elevation Package
- Deletion of SLE Convenience Package
- Deletion of Elevation Edition Package
- Deletion of All Terrain X Package
- Deletion of SLE Chrome Appearance Package (LPO-level item)
See detailed 2021 GMC Canyon changes, updates and new features here: 2021 Canyon change log.
The updates and changes described here are specific to the U.S. market and may be different for other markets.
The 2021 GMC Canyon is offered as a midsize pickup truck with the following cab and bed configurations:
- Extended Cab, Long Box
- Crew Cab, Short Box
- Crew Cab, Long Box
The updated Canyon model is available in seven exterior colors and four interior colors.
- 7 Exterior Colors
- Satin Steel Metallic
- Summit White
- Onyx Black
- Hunter Metallic
- Dynamic Blue Metallic
- Cayenne Red Tintcoat
- Desert Sand Metallic
- 4 Interior Color
- Jet Black with Dark Ash
- Jet Black
- Jet Black with Kalahari
- Cocoa with Dark Atmosphere
The 2021 GMC Canyon is offered with the following three engine and transmission choices:
|Engine||Transmission||Horsepower @ RPM||Torque @ RPM||Rear Axle|
|2.5L I-4 LCV (Gasoline)||6-Speed Automatic (MYB)||200 @ 6300||191 @ 4400||4.10|
|3.6L V-6 LGZ (Gasoline)||8-Speed Automatic (M5T)||308 @ 6800||275 @ 4000||3.42|
|2.8L I-4 LWN (Diesel)||6-Speed Automatic (MYB)||181 @ 3400||369 @ 2000||3.42|
A modified variant of the same architecture is used by the following vehicles:
- 2013 and newer Chevrolet and Holden Colorado for international markets (also known as Isuzu D-MAX or Chevrolet D-MAX)
- 2014 and newer Chevrolet Trailblazer, also known as the Holden Colorado 7 and Holden Trailblazer
The 2021 GMC Canyon followed the regular GM model year rollover sequence, and launched during the third quarter of calendar year 2020. Notably, complications caused by COVID-19 caused a bit of a delay.
We expect that the current, second-generation GMC Canyon will remain in production for the 2021, and 2022 model years, and that an all-new, future GMC Canyon will launch on or after the 2023 model year.
See GMC Canyon sales numbers for all markets, worldwide
- Information for market (country) specified.
- Sales information compiled from various sources by GM Authority and Motrolix.
Discuss the 2021 GMC Canyon in our GMC forum.
The offer is only available for current eligible Buick or GMC owners and lessees. The UAW dropped its mask mandate on July 12th.
The offer is only available for current eligible Buick or GMC owners and lessees.
The UAW dropped its mask mandate on July 12th.
- 2021 GMC Canyon AT4
- 2021 GMC Canyon AT4 Colors
- 2021 GMC Canyon Changes, Updates, New Features
- 2021 GMC Canyon Colors
- 2021 GMC Canyon Denali
- 2021 GMC Canyon Denali Changes, Updates, New Features
- 2021 GMC Canyon Denali Colors
- 2021 GMC Canyon Diesel