General Motors Hanoi, Vietnam Plant
The GM Hanoi plant, otherwise known as GM Hanoi Assembly Plant or GM Vietnam Plant, was located in Thanh Tri district, Hanoi city, Vietnam. The facility was sold to Vietnamese carmaker Vinfast in June 2018, and began producing VinFast vehicles in the first quarter of 2019.
You are browsing an entry about a GM facility that has been sold and is no longer part of General Motors.
- Year opened: 1995
- Activity: vehicle assembly
- Facility size:
- 517,150 square feet including outside and support buildings, plus
- 285,588 square feet for addition of office area
899 Ngoc Hoi Street, Tu Hiep Commune
Thanh Tri District, Hanoi
- Employee information: 600 direct
- Production capacity: annual 30,000 vehicles
While it was owned by GM, the Hanoi plant built Chevrolet vehicles with parts imported from South Korea and Thailand. Among the products were assembled at the Hanoi plant were:
- Chevrolet Colorado
- Chevrolet TrailBlazer
- Chevrolet Captiva
- Chevrolet Orlando
- Chevrolet Cruze
- Chevrolet Aveo
- Chevrolet Spark
The Hanoi plant was opened in 1995 by Vietnam Daewoo Motors Company (VIDAMCO), a joint venture between Daewoo Motors (Korea) and the 7893 Engineering Union of Vietnam’s Ministry of Defense.
Several historic highlights of the GM Hanoi plant include:
- July 2011: VIDAMCO officially changed its name to GM Vietnam, itself part of GM International. GM Vietnam products were manufactured in accordance with GM’s global production and quality standards.
- April 2000: the Vietnamese government authorized Daewoo Motors to repurchase the partners’ capital contribution, and VIDAMCO became Vietnam’s first automobile manufacturing company fully owned by a foreign entity.
- 2002: when GM purchased Daewoo Motors, the Hanoi plant became the property of the new entity called GM Daewoo Automobile and Technology Company (GMDAT).
- 2006: the plant replaced Daewoo products and began assembling Chevrolet models thanks to the launch of several new Chevy products such as the Chevrolet Captiva and Chevrolet Spark.