General Motors Lake Orion Plant
The GM Lake Orion facility, otherwise known as Lake Orion Assembly, is located in Lake Orion, Michigan, United States, about 30 miles north of Detroit. It currently produces the Chevrolet Sonic and Chevrolet Bolt EV.
- Year opened: 1983
- Facility size: 4.3 million square feet
4555 Giddings Road
Lake Orion, Michigan, 48359
- Employee information:
- Hourly: 1005
- Salaried: 143
- Total: 1148
- Union local: UAW Local 5960
Over its 32-year history, Orion team members have built over 5.1 million vehicles for General Motors. The plant has also set an industry record of continuous operation without a lost work day in July 2008 of 10 million man hours.
Orion Assembly also holds the distinction of becoming the first GM facility to receive the Clean Corporate Citizen designation by the State of Michigan.
Production of the Chevrolet Bolt EV replaced that of Buick Verano.
Prior to Chevrolet Sonic and Buick Verano production, the Orion plant assembled the Pontiac G6.
- 2014: $160 million for plant tooling and equipment for Chevrolet Bolt EV production
- 2013: $12 million for landfill gas co-generation powerhouse with generation equipment and machinery
- 2010: $545 million for plant retooling for Chevrolet Sonic and Buick Verano
Milestones, Accomplishments & Awards
- 2016: received a 2016 Green Power Leadership Award from the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). EPA’s annual Green Power Leadership Awards recognize the country’s leading green power users for their commitment and contribution to helping advance the development of the nation’s voluntary green power market.
- 2015: Chevrolet Sonic earns 2015 Top Safety Pick from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS)
- 2015: Chevrolet Sonic earned J.D. Power’s Highest Ranked Appeal in sub-compact car segment
- 2014: Buick Verano named “Best Entry-Level Luxury Car” in Kelley Blue Book’s 2014 5-Year Cost to Own Awards
- 2014: Chevrolet Sonic named one of the “10 Best Back-to-School Cars” by Kelley Blue Book
- 2013: Energy Star Challenge for Industry Award, with Orion Assembly being one of only two GM plants worldwide to achieve this three times
- 2012 – 2013: Chevrolet Sonic wins the sub-compact segment in the J.D. Power Automotive Performance, Execution and Layout (APEAL) study
- 2012: Chevrolet Sonic identified as a “Recommended Buy” by Consumer Reports
- 2012: Buick Verano achieves a 5-star Overall Vehicle Score for safety from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration
- 2002 – 2014: designated as a Clean Corporate Citizen by the Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) since 2002
- 2008 – 2014: Michigan Department of Environmental Quality (MDEQ) Neighborhood Environmental Partner Award
- 2008: seventh-generation Chevrolet Malibu (previously produced at the plant) named Best in Class by J. D. Power
- 2008: seventh-generation Chevrolet Malibu (previously produced at the plant) named North America Car of the Year
State Economic Impact
- Wages: $116,546,559
- Income Tax: $22,824,858
Follow this link for GM Orion plant news coverage.