GM 1.4 Liter Turbo I4 Ecotec LUJ/LUV Engine
The 1.4 liter LUJ/LUV turbocharged inline four cylinder engine is produced by General Motors for use in subcompact and compact vehicles. It is part of GM’s Family 0 engine family.
The turbocharger in the LUJ/LUV is integrated within the exhaust manifold for reduced weight and greater packaging flexibility in smaller vehicles. The engine incorporates numerous mass-reducing features, including a cast iron block with a hollow frame structure, hollow-cast camshafts, and a plastic intake manifold.
Engine highlights include:
- Cylinder Block: the LUJ/LUV’s cylinder block is made of strong gray cast iron, with five reinforced main bearings. The block offers excellent thermal properties that suit the cylinder pressure and loads generated by a turbocharger system. To minimize weight, it features hollow-frame construction, making it about 20 percent lighter than a conventional casting.
- Rotating Assembly: with a reinforced, solid-cast crankshaft, the 1.4L Turbo Ecotec offers strength and stiffness, particularly at higher rpm, to support the boosted cylinder pressure of the turbo system. The connecting rods are forged steel and the lightweight, hypereutectic pistons are designed with a thicker crown area and a unique ring pack to withstand the boost pressure and heat generated by the turbo system.
- Variable-Flow Oil Pump: the 1.4L Turbo Ecotec LUJ/LUV uses a unique variable-flow oiling system that helps maximize fuel efficiency. Rather than the linear operation of a conventional fixed-flow pump, the LUJ/LUV uses a crankshaft-driven oil pump that matches the oil supply to the engine load. The engine’s turbo’s variable-flow pump changes its capacity based on the engine’s demand for oil, thereby preventing energy consumption to pump oil that is not required for proper engine operation.
- Structural Oil Pan: an aluminum oil pan is designed as a key structural component of the engine, adding stiffness that helps improve vibration characteristics.
- Cylinder Head: an aluminum cylinder head with dual-overhead camshafts and four valves per cylinder is used on the 1.4L Turbo Ecotec. The head’s intake port design optimizes performance, efficiency and emissions by promoting greater charge motion of the intake air and a more complete burn of the air/fuel mixture. Sodium-filled exhaust valves are designed for the higher combustion temperatures of the turbo system.
- Variable Valve Timing: the dual-overhead camshaft arrangement of the engine employs dual, continuously variable cam phasing to adjust the opening and closing timing of the engine’s valves for optimal performance, fuel efficiency, and emissions across the rpm band.
- Integrated Turbocharger And Exhaust Manifold: the 1.4L Turbo Ecotec LUJ/LUV uses a unique, integrated turbocharger and exhaust manifold. The turbocharger size was chosen with an emphasis on low speed torque and throttle response. It requires fewer parts, is lighter than a conventional system, helps lower engine compartment temperatures and helps the engine warm up faster. The turbocharger is lubricated by engine oil and is liquid cooled for long-term reliability.
- Electronically Controlled Thermostat: the coolant thermostat’s operating point is electronically controlled to optimize engine temperatures during different phases of operation to enhance fuel efficiency. The engine control module monitors sensors and controls the thermostat based on mapping that takes into account the wide range of engine operating conditions, including temperature and load.
|Type:||Ecotec 1.4L VVT turbocharged|
|Displacement:||1364 cc (83 ci)|
|Valve configuration:||Dual overhead camshafts, double continuously variable cam phaser intake and exhaust (DCVCP)|
|Valves per cylinder:||4|
|Assembly site:||Aspern, Austria and Bupyeong, South Korea (previously in Flint, Michigan, USA)|
|Valve lifters:||Roller finger followers|
|Firing order:||1 – 3 – 4 – 2|
|Bore x stroke:||72.5 x 82.6 mm|
|Bore Center (mm):||78|
|Fuel system:||Sequential multi-port fuel injectors with electronic throttle control|
|Fuel Type:||Regular unleaded|
|Horsepower hp (kW)|
|Chevrolet Sonic 4-door, 5-door:||138 hp (103 kW) @4900 RPM SAE Certified|
|First-gen Chevrolet Cruze:||138 hp (103 kW) @4900 RPM SAE Certified|
|Buick Encore:||138 hp (103 kW) @4900 RPM SAE Certified|
|Chevrolet Trax:||138 hp (103 kW) @4900 RPM SAE Certified|
|Torque lb.-ft. (Nm)|
|Chevrolet Sonic 4-door, 5-door Automatic Transmission:||148 lb.-ft.(200 Nm) @1850 RPM SAE Certified|
|Chevrolet Sonic 4-door, 5-door Manual Transmission:||148 lb.-ft.(200 Nm) @2500 RPM SAE Certified|
|First-generation Chevrolet Cruze with Automatic Transmission:||148 lb.-ft.(200 Nm) @1850 RPM SAE Certified|
|First-generation Chevrolet Cruze with Manual Transmission:||148 lb.-ft.(200 Nm) @2500 RPM SAE Certified|
|Buick Encore:||148 lb.-ft.(200 Nm) @1850 RPM SAE Certified|
|Chevrolet Trax:||148 lb.-ft.(200 Nm) @1850 RPM SAE Certified|
|Maximum Engine Speed:||6500 RPM|
|Close-coupled and underfloor catalytic converters|
|58X ignition system|
|Returnless fuel rail|
|Fast light-off O2 sensor|
|Block:||Gray cast iron|
|Cylinder head:||Cast aluminum|
|Exhaust manifold:||Cast iron|
|Camshaft:||Hollow cast iron|
|Connecting rods:||Forged steel|
|Low-mass hollow-frame cast iron block|
|Roller-finger camshaft followers|
|Piston-cooling oil jets and integrated oil cooler|
|Variable-flow oil pump|
|Electronically controlled thermostat|
|Chevrolet Sonic RS||MH8-6T40|
|Chevrolet Sonic RS||MR5-M32-6|
|Buick Encore||MHB-6T40 AWD|