GM 6.2 Liter V8 Small Block LS3 Engine
The LS3 V8 engine is produced by General Motors for use in high-performance vehicles such as the Camaro and Corvette, among others. It is part of GM’s Gen IV engine family.
Engine highlights include:
- Cylinder Block and Rotating Assembly: the engine block was developed with math-based tools and data acquired via GM’s racing programs, and provides a light, rigid foundation for an impressively smooth engine. Its deep-skirt design helps maximize strength and minimize vibration. The bulkheads accommodate six-bolt, cross-bolted main-bearing caps that limit crank flex and stiffen the engine’s structure. A structural oil pan further stiffens the powertrain. Within the LS3 block is a durable rotating assembly that includes a steel crankshaft and connecting rods, as well as high-strength, aluminum-alloy pistons. The flat-top pistons are also lightweight, a characteristic that enhances high-rpm performance by enabling the engine to rev quicker.
- High-Flow Cylinder Heads and Valvetrain: the LS3’s cylinder heads feature rectangular intake ports that support exceptional airflow. They support great airflow at higher rpm for a broader horsepower band, along with strong, low-rpm torque. The intake ports that feed the combustion chambers, as well as the D-shaped exhaust ports, are designed for excellent high-rpm airflow.
- High-Flow Intake Manifold with Acoustic Shell: the LS3’s intake manifold ports are designed to match the cylinder head. The composite manifold is manufactured with a lost core process to improve runner-to-runner variation and to reduce flow losses. Acoustic foam is placed between the exterior top of the intake manifold and an additional “skull cap” acoustic shell to reduce radiated engine noise.
- Dry Sump-Style Oiling System with Manual Transmission: Corvette models equipped with a manual transmission feature a dry sump oiling system which promotes exceptional performance of the lubrication system during extended high-rpm use under high cornering loads.
- Advanced Electronic Throttle Control (ETC): the inclusion of ETC results in the elimination of a mechanical link between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body. A sensor at the pedal measures pedal angle and sends a signal to the engine control module (ECM), which in turn directs an electric motor to open the throttle at the appropriate rate and angle. The ETC system can deliver outstanding throttle response and greater reliability than a mechanical connection.
- 58X Ignition System: the LS3 has an advanced 58X crankshaft position encoder to ensure that ignition timing is accurate throughout its operating range. The new 58X crankshaft ring and sensor provide more immediate, accurate information on the crankshaft’s position during rotation. This allows the engine control module to adjust ignition timing with greater precision, which optimizes performance and economy. Engine starting is also more consistent in all operating conditions.
|Type:||6.2L Gen IV V8 Small Block|
|Displacement:||6162cc (376.0 ci)|
|Valve configuration:||Overhead valves|
|Valves per cylinder:||2|
|Assembly site:||St. Catharines, Ontario|
|Assembly site for Corvette Grand Sport Manual Coupe:||Performance Build Center (PBC), Wixom, MI|
|Valve lifters:||Hydraulic roller|
|Firing order:||1 – 8 – 7 – 2 – 6 – 5 – 4 – 3|
|Bore x stroke:||103.25 x 92mm|
|Fuel system:||Sequential fuel injection|
|Fuel type:||Premium fuel recommended, not required|
|Valves per cylinder;||2|
|Bore Center (mm):||111.76|
|Engine Mass (kg/lbs):||183 / 403|
|Engine Mass (kg/lbs) Grand Sport Manual Coupe:||211 / 466|
|Horsepower hp (kW)|
|Chevrolet Camaro SS:||426 hp (318 kW) @ 5900 rpm SAE Certified|
|Chevrolet Corvette:||430 hp (321 kW) @ 5900 rpm SAE Certified|
|Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport:||430 hp (321 kW) @ 5900 rpm SAE Certified|
|Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport Manual Coupe:||430 hp (321 kW) @ 5900 rpm SAE Certified|
|Chevrolet Corvette with Optional Exhaust:||436 hp (325 kW) @ 5900 rpm SAE Certified|
|Torque lb.-ft. (Nm)|
|Chevrolet Camaro:||420 lb.-ft. (569 Nm) @ 4600 rpm SAE Certified|
|Chevrolet Corvette:||424 lb.-ft. (575 Nm) @ 4600 rpm SAE Certified|
|Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport:||424 lb.-ft. (575 Nm) @ 4600 rpm SAE Certified|
|Chevrolet Corvette Grand Sport Manual Coupe:||424 lb.-ft. (575 Nm) @ 4600 rpm SAE Certified|
|Chevrolet Corvette with Optional Exhaust:||428 lb.-ft. (580 Nm) @ 4600 rpm SAE Certified|
|Maximum Engine Speed:||6600 RPM|
|Positive crankcase ventilation|
|Cylinder head:||Cast aluminum|
|Exhaust manifold:||Cast nodular iron|
|Main bearing caps:||Powder metal|
|Crankshaft:||Cast iron with undercut and rolled fillets|
|Crankshaft Grand Sport Manual Coupe:||Forged steel crank|
|Connecting rods:||Forged powder metal|
|Extended life spark plugs|
|Extended life coolant|
|Dry Sump Oil Lubrication System – Grand Sport Manual Coupe Only|
|Oil level sensor|
|Oil Life System|
|Chevrolet Camaro SS Coupe and Convertible (manual)||M10-6L90M|
|Chevrolet Camaro SS Coupe and Convertible (automatic)||MYC-6L80|
|Chevrolet Camaro SS Coupe (manual)||MM6-6L85M|
|Chevrolet Corvette and Corvette Grand Sport (manual)||MM6-6L85M|
|Chevrolet Camaro SS Coupe (automatic)||MYC-6L80|
|Chevrolet Corvette and Corvette Grand Sport (automatic)||MZ6-6L90M|