GM 4.8L Liter V8 Vortec L20 Engine
The L20 is an engine produced by General Motors for full-size van and pickup vehicles. Displacing 4.8 liters in a V8 configuration, the L20 is part of the Vortec (Generation IV Small Block) engine family, which has been replaced by the EcoTec3 engine family. Currently, the engine is utilized in the Chevrolet Express and GMC Savana vans. It was previously available in the Chevrolet Silverado 1500 and GMC Sierra 1500, but has been replaced by the all-new 4.3-liter V6 EcoTec3 LV3.
The Vortec 4.8L V8 L20 is the entry-level V8 engine. One of the enablers of the 4.8L’s balance of performance and efficiency is great airflow throughout. The 4.8L is powerful and delivers exceptional refinement to go with great strength. Quiet features built into the engine are complemented by an improved engine cradle and mounting system. These help reduce vibrations transmitted through the chassis and into the passenger compartment.
- Cylinder Block and Rotating Assembly: the L20 4.8L provides a light, rigid foundation for an impressively smooth engine. Its deep-skirt design helps maximize strength and minimize vibration. Along with the rigid block, the engine’s rotating assembly was designed for optimal strength and duration complemented by features designed to make the L20 quiet and smooth. To further reduce wear, the pistons are coated with a polymer material that limits bore scuffing, or abrasion of the cylinder wall over time from the piston’s up-down motion. The polymer coating also dampens noise generated by the piston’s movement. The result for the customer is less engine wear, improved durability and quieter operation.
- High-Flow Cylinder Heads and Valvetrain: the 4.8L’s cylinder heads feature “cathedral”-shaped intake ports that promote exceptional airflow. The high-performance cylinder heads support great airflow at higher rpm for a broader horsepower band, along with strong, low-rpm torque.
- E85 Flex-Fuel Capability: E85 is a clean-burning, domestically produced alternative fuel composed of 85 percent ethanol alcohol and 15 percent gasoline. Ethanol is renewable and produces fewer greenhouse gases in the combustion process. It can be produced from various feed stocks, including corn and wheat stalks, forestry and agricultural waste and even municipal waste.
- Advanced Electronic Throttle Control: with ETC, there is no mechanical link between the accelerator pedal and the throttle body. A sensor at the pedal measures pedal angle and sends a signal to the engine control module (ECM), which in turn directs an electric motor to open the throttle at the appropriate rate and angle. The ETC system can deliver outstanding throttle response and greater reliability than a mechanical connection.
- 58X Ignition System: the L20 has an advanced 58X crankshaft position encoder to ensure that ignition timing is accurate throughout its operating range. The new 58X crankshaft ring and sensor provide more immediate, accurate information on the crankshaft’s position during rotation. This allows the engine control module to adjust ignition timing with greater precision, which optimizes performance and economy. Engine starting is also more consistent in all operating conditions.
|Type:||4.8L Gen IV V8 Small Block|
|Displacement:||4807cc (293 ci)|
|Valve configuration:||Overhead valves|
|Valves per cylinder:||2|
|Assembly site:||Romulus, Michigan, USA; Silao, Mexico; St. Catherines, Ontario, Canada|
|Valve lifters:||Hydraulic roller|
|Firing order:||1 – 8 – 7 – 2 – 6 – 5 – 4 – 3|
|Bore x Stroke:||96.01 x 83mm|
|Bore Center (mm):||111.76|
|Fuel system:||Sequential fuel injection|
|Maximum Engine Speed:||6000 RPM|
|Regular unleaded:||Chevrolet Express (Cutaway), GMC Savana (Cutaway)|
|Regular unleaded and E85 Flex Fuel:||Chevrolet Silverado, Express (Passenger, Cargo)|
|Regular unleaded and E85 Flex Fuel:||GMC Sierra, Savana (Passenger, Cargo)|
|Positive crankcase ventilation|
|Horsepower hp (kw)|
|Chevrolet Express > 10,000 lbs||285 hp (213 kW) @ 5400 RPM SAE Certified|
|Chevrolet Express < = 10,000 lbs||285 hp (213 kW) @ 5400 RPM SAE Certified "GMC Savana > 10||000 lbs"||285 hp (213 kW) @ 5400 RPM SAE Certified|
|GMC Savana < = 10,000 lbs||285 hp (213 kW) @ 5400 RPM SAE Certified|
|Torque lb.-ft. (Nm)|
|Chevrolet Express > 10,000 lbs||295 lb.-ft. (400 Nm) @ 4600 RPM SAE Certified|
|Chevrolet Express < = 10,000 lbs||295 lb.-ft. (400 Nm) @ 4600 RPM SAE Certified "GMC Savana > 10||000 lbs"||295 lb.-ft. (400 Nm) @ 4600 RPM SAE Certified|
|GMC Savana < = 10,000 lbs||295 lb.-ft. (400 Nm) @ 4600 RPM SAE Certified|
|Cylinder head:||Cast aluminum|
|Exhaust manifold:||Cast nodular iron|
|Main bearing caps:||Powder Metal|
|Crankshaft:||Cast nodular iron with undercut and rolled fillets|
|Connecting rods:||Powder metal|
|Electronic throttle control|
|E85 Flex Fuel|
|Variable Valve Timing (VVT)|
|Extended life accessory drive belt|
|Extended life coolant|
|Extended life spark plugs|
|Oil Life Monitor System|
|Chevrolet Express (Cargo||Passanger||Cutaway) < 10K GVW:||MYD-6L90 Chevrolet Express (Cargo||Passanger||Cutaway) > 10K GVW:||MYD-6L90|
|GMC Savana (Cargo||Passanger||Cutaway) < 10K GVW:||MYD-6L90 GMC Savana (Cargo||Passanger||Cutaway) > 10K GVW:||MYD-6L90|