Future GMC Yukon
We expect the next, fifth-generation GMC Yukon to reach the market around the 2020-2021 model years. Until then, we expect the current, fourth-generation Yukon to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements.
Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the next GMC Yukon. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from General Motors and GMC.
If you notice any inaccuracies about the information provided, or have edits to suggest, please let us know here.
- What: an all-new GMC Yukon full-size SUV and GMC Yukon XL extended-length full-size SUV that will represent the fifth generation of the nameplate
- When: we expect the next Yukon family to launch in the 2020 calendar year as a 2020-2021 model year vehicle
- Why: an all-new Yukon will ensure GMC’s lead in the full-size SUV space
- Where: sold in all current markets where GMC is currently sold, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, and the Middle East
Following are our expectations about the future GMC Yukon:
- Based on the new GM T1 platform, delivering all-new underpinnings and engineering
- Significantly lighter than the fourth-generation model, by as much 300 pounds (136 kilograms)
- All-new exterior and interior designs
- Improved third-row configuration and usability
- Inclusion of next-generation IntelliLink infotainment system
- Increased amounts of luxury, comfort and convenience
- Potential addition of an independent rear suspension, possibly as an option
- Inclusion of the GM Super Cruise autonomous driving technology
We expect the upcoming future GMC Yukon to continue being available as a full-size SUV as well as an extended-wheelbase full-size SUV in the Yukon XL.
We expect that the starting price of the next Yukon will grow from the $48,000 price tag of the current GMC Yukon and $51,000 price tag of the current GMC Yukon XL.
We expect the next-gen GMC Yukon to ride on GM’s T1 platform shared with future GM full-size pickup trucks and SUVs, including:
- Next Chevrolet Silverado
- Next Chevrolet Tahoe
- Next Chevrolet Suburban
- Next GMC Sierra
- Next Cadillac Escalade/Escalade ESV
We expect the next GMC Yukon to feature the following engine choices:
- A twin-turbo V-6 engine, such as the Twin-Turbo 3.0L V-6 LGW or Twin-Turbo 3.6L V-6 LF3
- One Small-Block V-8 engine, such as the 5.3L V-8 L83 or the 6.2L V-8 L86 in the Yukon Denali
We expect that the next Yukon will only be offered with the new GM 10-speed automatic transmission; the plug-in hybrid model will have its own powertrain.
The future GMC Yukon will have the following competitors:
- Ford Expedition
- Toyota Sequoia
- Nissan Armada/Patrol
Before The All-New Model
Before the all-new future GMC Yukon reaches the market, we expect the current fourth-generation Yukon to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements. See information about the current-generation Yukon by using the following links:
Discuss the next GMC Yukon in our GMC forum.