Future GMC Terrain
We expect the next, third-generation GMC Terrain to launch on or after the 2023 model year. Until then, we expect the current, second-generation Terrain to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements.
Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the next GMC Terrain. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from General Motors and GMC.
If you notice any inaccuracies about the information provided, or have edits to suggest, please let us know here.
|Last redesigned model year:||2018 (second generation)|
|Last midcycle refresh/MCE model year:||none currently|
|Expected redesign model year:||2023 (third generation)|
|Expected name:||GMC Terrain|
|Current platform:||GM D2 platform|
|Future platform:||GM VSS-F platform|
|Layout:||FF (front-engined, front-wheel-drive)|
|Current body styles:||compact four-door crossover utility vehicle (CUV)|
|Future body styles:||compact four-door crossover utility vehicle (CUV)|
|Expected gasoline engines:||turbo-charged I-3, turbo-charged I-4|
|Expected transmissions:||9-speed automatic|
- What: an all-new GMC Terrain compact crossover utility vehicle that will represent the third generation of the nameplate, after the second-gen Terrain was introduced in 2017
- When: we expect the next GMC Terrain to launch in the 2023 calendar year timeframe as a 2023 model year vehicle
- Why: an all-new Terrain is highly important for GMC, as the model remains a best-seller for the brand in the competitive and lucrative compact mainstream crossover segment
- Where: sold in all current markets where the Terrain is currently sold, including the United States, Canada, Mexico and the Middle East
Following are our expectations about the future GMC Terrain:
- Based on the new GM VSS-F platform, delivering all-new underpinnings and engineering
- All-new exterior design, available in four-door crossover body style
- All-new interior design
- Improved interior comfort and convenience
- Inclusion of next-generation IntelliLink infotainment system
- Introduction of more GM Active Safety features and technologies
- Introduction of all-new powertrain range
We expect the upcoming future GMC Terrain to continue being available as a compact four-door crossover.
We expect the next GMC Terrain to carry similar pricing as the current, second-gen model, with prices starting in the $25,000 range.
We expect the next-gen GMC Terrain to ride on GM’s VSS-F platform (vehicle set strategy) shared with all future front-drive GM cars and crossovers.
We expect the next GMC Terrain to feature an all-new powertrain, including an all-new engine and transmission set.
It is currently unclear where the GMC Terrain will be assembled. The current-, second-generation model is assembled at the GM San Luis Potosi factory by GM Mexico.
The future GMC Terrain will have various competitors in the mainstream compact CUV segment, including:
- GM’s own Chevrolet Equinox
- Ford Escape
- Jeep Compass and Jeep Cherokee
- Toyota RAV4
- Honda CR-V
- Nissan Rogue
- Hyundai Tucson
- Kia Sportage
- Volkswagen Tiguan
- Subaru Forester
- Mitsubishi Outlander
Before The All-New Model
Before the all-new future GMC Terrain reaches the market, we expect the current second-generation Terrain to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements, along with a potential mid-cycle enhancement or facelift. See information about the current-generation Terrain by using the following links:
- 2010 GMC Terrain (introduction of first-gen model)
- 2011 GMC Terrain
- 2012 GMC Terrain
- 2013 GMC Terrain
- 2014 GMC Terrain
- 2015 GMC Terrain (mild facelift)
- 2016 GMC Terrain
- 2017 GMC Terrain
- 2018 GMC Terrain (introduction of second-gen model)
- 2019 GMC Terrain
Discuss the next GMC Terrain in our GMC forum.
Follow our coverage of GMC Terrain news.