Future Chevrolet Suburban
We expect the next, 12th-generation Chevrolet Suburban to reach the market around the 2020-2021 model years. Until then, we expect the current, 11th-generation Suburban to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements.
Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the next Chevrolet Suburban. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from General Motors and Chevrolet.
If you notice any inaccuracies about the information provided, or have edits to suggest, please let us know here.
- What: an all-new Chevrolet Suburban extended-length full-size SUV that will represent the 12th generation of the nameplate
- When: we expect the next Suburban to launch in the 2020 calendar year as a 2020-2021 model year vehicle
- Why: an all-new Suburban will ensure Chevy’s leading position in the full-size SUV space
- Where: sold in all current markets where the Suburban is currently sold, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central and South America and the Middle East
Following are our expectations about the future Chevrolet Suburban:
- Based on the new GM T1 platform, delivering all-new underpinnings and engineering
- Significantly lighter than the 12th-generation model, by as much 300 pounds (136 kilograms)
- All-new exterior and interior designs
- Improved third-row configuration and usability
- Inclusion of next-generation MyLink infotainment system
- Increased amounts of luxury, comfort and convenience
- Potential addition of an independent rear suspension, possibly as an option
- Inclusion of the GM Super Cruise autonomous driving technology
We expect the upcoming future Chevy Suburban to continue being available as an extended-length full-size SUV. A shorter-wheelbase model will continue being available as the future Chevrolet Tahoe.
We expect that the starting price of the next Suburban will grow from the $49,000 price tag of the current, 11th-generation model.
We expect the next-gen Chevy Suburban to ride on GM’s T1 platform shared with future GM full-size pickup trucks and SUVs, including:
- Next Chevrolet Silverado
- Next Chevrolet Tahoe
- Next GMC Sierra
- Next GMC Yukon/Yukon XL
- Next Cadillac Escalade/Escalade ESV
We expect the next Chevy Suburban to feature the following engine choices:
- A twin-turbo V-6 engine, such as the Twin-Turbo 3.0L V-6 LGW or Twin-Turbo 3.6L V-6 LF3
- One Small-Block V-8 engine, such as the 5.3L V-8 L83 or 6.2L V-8 L86
We expect that the next Suburban will only be offered with the new GM 10-speed automatic transmission.
We expect the future Chevy Suburban to be assembled by GM USA at the GM Arlington factory in Texas.
The future Chevrolet Suburban will have the following competitors:
- Ford Expedition L
- Toyota Sequoia and Nissan Armada/Patrol, both of which compete with short-wheelbase version, the Chevy Tahoe
Before The All-New Model
Before the all-new future Chevy Suburban reaches the market, we expect the current 11th-generation Suburban to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements. See information about the current-generation Suburban by using the following links:
- 2014 Chevrolet Suburban
- 2015 Chevrolet Suburban
- 2016 Chevrolet Suburban
- 2017 Chevrolet Suburban
- 2018 Chevrolet Suburban
- 2019 Chevrolet Suburban
Discuss the next Chevy Suburban in our Chevrolet forum.
Follow our coverage of Chevrolet Suburban news.