Future Chevrolet Malibu
We expect the 10th generation next Chevrolet Malibu to reach the market in the vicinity of the 2021-2022 model years. Until then, we expect the current, ninth-generation Malibu to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements.
Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the next Chevrolet Malibu. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from General Motors and Chevrolet.
If you notice any inaccuracies about the information provided, or have edits to suggest, please let us know here.
|Last redesigned model year:||2016 (ninth generation)|
|Expected midcycle refresh/MCE model year:||2019|
|Expected redesign model year:||2021-2022 (tenth generation)|
|Expected name:||Chevrolet Malibu, Chevrolet Malibu sedan|
|Current platform:||GM E2 platform|
|Future platform:||GM VSS-F platform|
|Layout:||FF (front-engined, front-wheel-drive)|
|Current body styles:||midsize four-door sedan|
|Future body styles:||midsize four-door sedan|
|Expected gasoline engines:||small-displacement I-4 turbo, large-displacement I-4|
|Expected diesel engines:||none|
|Expected transmissions:||9-speed automatic|
- What: an all-new Chevrolet Malibu midsize sedan that will represent the 10th generation of the nameplate
- When: we expect the next Malibu to launch in the 2020-2021 calendar years as a 2021-2022 model year vehicle
- Why: an all-new Malibu will enable Chevrolet to maintain its position in the midsize mainstream sedan space, while offering it the opportunity to grow sales and take market share from competitors
- Where: sold in all current markets where the Malibu is currently sold, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, Central America, South America, South Korea and the Middle East
Following are our expectations about the future Chevrolet Malibu:
- Based on the new GM VSS-F platform, delivering all-new underpinnings and engineering
- All-new exterior and interior designs
- Improved packaging, resulting in increases in usable interior space
- Inclusion of a next-generation infotainment system
- Increased amounts of luxury, comfort and convenience
- Potential addition of all-wheel-drive as an option
We expect the upcoming future Chevy Malibu to continue being available as a midsize sedan.
We expect that the starting price of the next Chevrolet Malibu will be in the $22,000 range.
We expect the next-gen Chevy Malibu to ride on the GM VSS-F platform (vehicle set) shared with all other front-drive GM vehicles.
As such, the vehicle will feature a front-mounted engine with a transverse orientation driving the front wheels. All-wheel-drive could be an option.
We expect the next Chevy Malibu to feature the following engine choices:
- 1.4L or 1.5L turbo-charged I-4 engine
- 2.0l-displacement turbo-charged I-4 engine
We expect that the next Malibu will only be offered with the new GM 9-speed automatic transmission.
The future Chevrolet Malibu will have the following competitors in the mainstream midsize segment:
- Ford Fusion/Mondeo
- Chrysler 200 (if re-introduced)
- Toyota Camry
- Nissan Altima
- Honda Accord
- Hyundai Sonata
- Kia Optima
- Volkswagen Passat
- Subaru Legacy
- Mazda 6
- Mitsubishi Galant
- GM’s own Buick Regal
Before The All-New Model
Before the all-new future Chevy Malibu reaches the market, we expect the current ninth-generation Malibu to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements. See information about the current-generation Malibu by using the following links:
- 2014 Chevrolet Malibu
- 2015 Chevrolet Malibu
- 2016 Chevrolet Malibu (introduction of ninth-generation model)
- 2017 Chevrolet Malibu
- 2018 Chevrolet Malibu
- 2019 Chevrolet Malibu (expected refresh for ninth-generation model)
- 2020 Chevrolet Malibu
- 2021 Chevrolet Malibu
- 2022 Chevrolet Malibu
Discuss the next Chevy Malibu in our Chevrolet forum.
Follow our coverage of Chevrolet Malibu news.