Future Cadillac XT4
We expect the next-generation Cadillac XT4 to reach the market in the vicinity of the 2025 model years. Until then, we expect the current, first-generation XT4 to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements throughout its lifecycle.
Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the future Cadillac XT4. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from General Motors and Cadillac.
If you notice any inaccuracies about the information provided, or have edits to suggest, please let us know here.
|Last redesigned model year:||2019 (first generation)|
|Expected refresh model year:||2022|
|Expected redesign model year:||2025 (second generation)|
|Expected name:||Cadillac XT4|
|Current platform:||E2 platform|
|Future platform:||VSS-S or VSS-R|
|Current layout:||FF (front-engined||front-wheel-drive/all-wheel-drive)|
|Future layout:||FF (front-engined, front-wheel-drive/all-wheel-drive on VSS-S) or FR (front-engined, rear-wheel-drive/all-wheel-drive on VSS-R)|
|Current body styles:||five-door crossover|
|Future body styles:||five-door crossover|
|Current segment:||compact crossover (C-segment)|
|Future segment:||compact crossover (C-segment)|
|Expected gasoline engines:||turbo I4|
|Expected diesel engines:||turbo-diesel I4 possible|
|Expected transmissions:||9-speed automatic|
|Expected alternative fuel powertrains:||plug-in gas-electric hybrid or all-electric|
- What: an all-new compact-luxury crossover representing the second generation of the XT4 nameplate
- When: a launch in calendar year 2024 as a 2025 model year vehicle
- Why: an all-new XT4 will strengthen Cadillac’s position in the compact luxury crossover segment, which has been growing significantly and rivaling the volume of the midsize luxury crossover segment
- Where: sold in all current markets where Cadillac has a business presence, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, China, South Korea, the Middle East, Russia, and Europe. The next XT4 could be sold in more countries if the Cadillac brand enters new markets.
Following are our expectations of the future Cadillac XT4:
- Based either on the GM VSS-S platform or the GM VSS-R platform, depending on how the vehicle is positioned in the marketplace and what strategy GM/Cadillac undertake with the model
- Represent an iteration of Cadillac’s new design language introduced by the Cadillac Escala concept
- Introduce an improved cabin, with increased levels of refinement, luxury, and convenience
- Offer GM Super Cruise autonomous driving technology
- Introduce a plug-in hybrid/PHEV variant and a pure battery electric model
We expect the upcoming future Cadillac XT4 to continue being available as a compact luxury crossover with four doors.
We expect the starting price of the next Cadillac XT4 to be in the high $30,000 range, an increase of about $5,000 compared to the first-generation model as Cadillac continues pushing upmarket.
The way we see it, the next Cadillac XT4 can ride either on the GM VSS-S or the GM VSS-R platform/vehicle sets, depending on which direction Cadillac takes the vehicle:
- If the next Cadillac XT4 continues to be a front-drive compact luxury crossover rivaling the Lexus NX, Acura RDX, and Lincoln MKC (like the first-generation model), then we expect it to ride on the GM VSS-S platform/vehicle set.
- If Cadillac changes direction and makes the next-gen XT4 a rear-drive midsize luxury crossover to compete with the BMW X3, Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class and Alfa Romeo Stelvio, then we expect it to ride on the GM VSS-R platform/vehicle set.
We expect the next Cadillac XT4 to feature the following engine choices:
- A 2.0L I-4 engine with automatic engine stop/start functionality (gasoline)
- Possibly a twin-turbo 2.0L I-4 (gasoline) in an XT4 V-Sport variant
- New turbo-diesel engine for select markets (diesel)
- An electric plug-in hybrid/PHEV (gasoline/electric)
- A pure battery-electric variant
We expect that the next XT4 to be offered with the GM 9-speed automatic transmission or an improved gearbox that succeeds the 9-speed. The plug-in hybrid and electric models will have their own hybrid/electric drive system.
It’s unclear where the future Cadillac XT4 will be assembled. The current, first-generation model is made by GM USA at the GM Fairfax factory in Kansas City for North American markets. It’s possible that the next-gen model will continue being assembled there, if the second-gen XT4 rides on the VSS-S platform. If, however, the next XT4 rides on the VSS-R platform, then it will likely be made at a different facility, such as the GM Lansing Grand River plant or the GM Detroit-Hamtramck plant.
The Chinese-market XT4 will be built at a GM China factory.
The future Cadillac XT4 will have various competitors, depending on how Cadillac decides to position the model.
Positioned as front-drive compact luxury CUV:
- Lexus NX
- Acura RDX
- Lincoln MKC
- Jaguar E-Pace
Positioned as rear-drive compact luxury CUV:
- BMW X3
- Mercedes-Benz GLC-Class
- Alfa Romeo Stelvio
- An upcoming Genesis compact crossover
Before The All-New Model
Before the all-new next-generation XT4 reaches the market, we expect the current first-generation Cadillac XT4 to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements. See information about the current XT4 by using the following links:
- 2019 Cadillac XT4 (introduction of first-generation model)
- 2020 Cadillac XT4
- 2021 Cadillac XT4
- 2022 Cadillac XT4 (expected midcycle refresh)
- 2023 Cadillac XT4
- 2024 Cadillac XT4
Discuss the next-generation Cadillac XT4 in our Cadillac forum.
Follow our coverage of Cadillac XT4 news.