Future Buick Encore
We expect the next, second-generation Buick Encore to reach the market for the 2020 model year. Until then, we expect the current, first-generation Encore to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements.
Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the next Buick Encore. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from General Motors and Buick.
If you notice any inaccuracies about the information provided, or have edits to suggest, please let us know here.
|Last redesigned model year:||2013 (first generation)|
|Last midcycle refresh/MCE model year:||2016|
|Expected redesign model year:||2020 (second generation)|
|Expected name:||Buick Encore|
|Current platform:||GM Gamma 2 platform|
|Future platform:||GM G2 platform or GM VSS-F platform|
|Layout:||FF (front-engined, front-wheel-drive)|
|Current body styles:||subcompact four-door crossover utility vehicle (CUV)|
|Future body styles:||subcompact four-door crossover utility vehicle (CUV)|
|Expected gasoline engines:||I-3 turbo or I-4 turbo|
|Expected transmissions:||9-speed automatic|
- What: an all-new Buick Encore subcompact crossover utility vehicle (CUV) that will represent the second generation of the Encore nameplate, after the first-gen Encore debuted for the 2013 model year
- When: we expect the next Encore to launch in the 2020 calendar year as a 2020 model year vehicle
- Why: an all-new Encore will enable Buick to continue building its presence in the subcompact CUV space and attracting new customers to the brand
- Where: available in all current markets where the Buick is currently sold, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, and China
Following are our expectations about the future Buick Encore:
- Based on the new GM G2 platform or the GM VSS-F platform, delivering all-new underpinnings and engineering
- Significantly lighter than the first-generation model by as much 300 pounds (136 kilograms) thanks to GM’s efforts to weight-shedding efforts of GM’s new architectures
- All-new exterior, available in four-door crossover utility vehicle (CUV) body style
- All-new interior
- Improved interior comfort and convenience, including:
- Keyless entry and push-button start
- Improved ergonomics for driver and passengers, including a full-width center console with armrest
- Inclusion of next-generation infotainment system
- Introduction of more GM Active Safety features and technologies
- Introduction of all-new powertrain range
We expect the upcoming future Buick Encore to continue being available as a subcompact four-door crossover utility vehicle (CUV).
We expect the next Buick Encore to carry similar pricing as the current, first-gen model, with a starting price in the vicinity of $23,000.
It is currently unclear which platform the next-gen Buick Encore will use. However, it is possible that the vehicle will ride on one of the following two platforms: the GM G2 platform or the GM VSS-F platform (vehicle set).
If the next Encore rides on the G2 architecture, then that platform will be shared with future GM subcompact cars and crossovers, including:
- Next Chevrolet Sonic
- Next Chevrolet Spark
- Next Chevrolet Trax/Tracker
- Next Opel Corsa (will likely switch to a Peugeot-Citroen architecture after GM’s sale of Opel division to PSA Group)
If the future Buick Encore instead rides on GM’s VSS-F vehicle set, then it will share its basic underpinnings with other front-drive vehicles from GM. It has been announced by GM executives that the first vehicle to ride on the VSS-F architecture will go into production in 2020, which puts it in line with the timeframe of the next Encore.
We expect the next Buick Encore to feature the following powertrain lineup:
- Gasoline engines:
- Turbocharged I-3 / inline three-cylinder engine
- Turbocharged I-4 / inline four-cylinder engine
- Diesel engines:
- At this point, we do not expect that the next Buick Encore will be offered with a diesel engine. However, should GM decide to return to European markets, a diesel engine in the future Encore will be possible
Due to economic and political climates, it is currently unclear where GM will produce the next-generation Buick Encore.
The future Buick Encore will have the following competitors:
- GM’s own Chevrolet Trax
- Ford EcoSport
- Honda HR-V
- Toyota C-HR
- Nissan Rogue Sport
- Nissan Juke
- Jeep Compass
Before The All-New Model
Before the all-new future Buick Encore reaches the market, we expect the current first-generation Encire to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements. See information about the current-generation Encore by using the following links:
- 2013 Buick Encore (introduction of first-gen model)
- 2014 Buick Encore
- 2015 Buick Encore
- 2016 Buick Encore (mid-cycle refresh of first-gen model)
- 2017 Buick Encore
- 2018 Buick Encore
- 2019 Buick Encore
Discuss the next Buick Encore in our Buick forum.
Follow our coverage of Buick Encore news.