Future Buick Cascada
It is currently unclear whether there will be a follow-up model to the current Buick Cascada convertible. If such a model does arrive as the next, second-generation Cascada, then we expect it to reach the market for the 2022-2023 model years. Until then, we expect the current, first-generation Cascada to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements.
Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the next Buick Cascada, if such a model is even planned. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from General Motors and Buick.
If you notice any inaccuracies about the information provided, or have edits to suggest, please let us know here.
|Last redesigned model year:||2016 (first generation)|
|Last midcycle refresh/MCE model year:||2019-2020 (expected)|
|Expected redesign model year:||2022/2023 (second generation)|
|Expected names:||Buick Cascada|
|Current platform:||GM Delta 2 platform|
|Future platform:||GM VSS-F platform|
|Layout:||FF (front-engined, front-wheel-drive)|
|Current body styles:||compact two-door soft-top convertible|
|Future body styles:||compact two-door soft-top convertible|
|Expected gasoline engines:||I-4 turbo|
|Expected diesel engines:||none|
|Expected transmissions:||9-speed automatic|
- What: an all-new Buick Cascada convertible that would represent the second generation of the Cascada nameplate, after the first-gen Cascada launched in 2015
- When: if a second-gen Cascada does come to market, we expect it to launch in the 2022 calendar year as a 2022 or 2023 model year vehicle
- Why: an all-new, second-generation Cascada would enable Buick to continue filling market white space while changing market perceptions about the Buick brand
- Where: sold in all current markets where the Buick brand is currently sold, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, and China
Following are our expectations about the future Buick Cascada, assuming that such a model does come to market:
- Based on the new GM VSS-F platform (vehicle set), delivering all-new underpinnings and engineering
- All-new exterior
- All-new interior
- Inclusion of next-generation infotainment system
- Introduction of more GM Active Safety features and technologies
- Introduction of all-new powertrain range
We expect the upcoming future Buick Cascada to continue being available as a compact, two-door, soft-top convertible. A hardtop non-convertible model could derive more scale for the vehicle program.
We expect the next Buick Cascada to carry similar pricing as the current, first-gen model and start in the mid-$35,000 range.
We expect the next-gen Buick Cascada to ride on the GM VSS-F vehicle set shared with future GM front-drive cars and crossovers. The GM VSS, or Vehicle Set Strategy, represents a new way for GM to develop and build vehicles.
We expect the next Buick Cascada to feature the following powertrain lineup:
- Gasoline engines: turbocharged I-4 / inline four-cylinder engine
- Diesel engines: none expected
- 6-speed manual transmission
- New GM 9-speed automatic transmission
Due to strategic, economic and political climates, it is currently unclear where GM will produce the next-generation Cascada.
Currently, the first-gen Cascada is assembled by GM Europe at the Opel Gliwice factory in Gliwice, Poland.
The future Buick Cascada will have the following competitors:
- Audi A3 convertible
- Chrysler 200 convertible (discontinued)
Before The All-New Model
If Buick does introduce a second-generation Cascada, then we expect the current, first-generation model to receive minor changes, updates, and improvements prior to the introduction of the first-gen model. See information about the current-generation Cascada by using the following links:
- 2016 Buick Cascada (introduction of first-gen model)
- 2017 Buick Cascada
- 2018 Buick Cascada
- 2019 Buick Cascada
Discuss the next Buick Cascada in our Buick forum.
Follow our coverage of Buick Cascada news.