2017 Chevrolet Sonic
The Chevy Sonic subcompact sedan and hatchback family receives a mid-cycle update (also known as a refresh or facelift) for the 2017 model year, bringing updates to the vehicle’s exterior, interior, and technologies.
“The new styling and features of the 2017 Sonic reinforce its position as a fun, efficient small car with leading technology – all at an affordable price,” said Steve Majoros, director of marketing, Chevrolet Cars and Crossovers. “This is an important segment for Chevrolet, as we really have an opportunity to introduce ourselves to new buyers and show them what we’re all about.”
Changes and updates to the 2017 Sonic include:
- New front fascia that echoes global Chevrolet styling cues that are seen on the 2016 Chevy Cruze, 2017 Chevy Bolt EV, 2017 Chevy Trax, and 2016 Chevy Spark
- New hood
- Projector-beam headlamps (standard)
- LED daytime running lamps (available)
- New rear fascia
- New 15-, 16- and 17-inch wheel designs
- Four new exterior colors:
- Orange Burst Metallic
- Cajun Red Tintcoat
- Arctic Blue Metallic (late availability)
- New, detailed gauge cluster incorporating an analog speedometer
- Power driver’s seat (available), a segment exclusive
- Heated steering wheel (available)
- Heated front seats (available)
- Rear Park Assist
- New seven-inch MyLink infotainment system with Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility (segment-exclusive)
- Keyless Open and Start
- RS trim now includes:
- RS-logo floor mats
- Piano black décor
- RS-badged flat-bottom steering wheel
- New red cloth seating (available)
- Mechanical: no changes reported
Similar to the Chevy Trax, the Sonic brings new, younger customers to the brand. In fact, more than 20 percent of them are younger than 35 and nearly 30 percent trade in non-GM vehicles.
In addition, the Sonic is Chevrolet’s top vehicle for first-time new buyers.
Sonic offers various safety features designed to alert drivers to potential crash situations, protect occupants during a collision, and get help after one.
Active Safety Features
- Forward Collision Alert (available)
- Lane Departure Warning (available)
- Stabilitrak electronic stability control (standard)
- Antilock braking system (standard)
- Rear Park Assist (available)
- Rearview camera (standard)
Passive Safety Features
The Sonic offers 10 standard airbags and a safety structure made of high-strength steel.
The 2017 Sonic offers OnStar for emergencies and accidents.
The 2017 Sonic continues to be offered with a choice of two four-cylinder Ecotec engines mated to either a six-speed automatic or six-speed manual transmission.
The 2017 Chevy Sonic offers two four-cylinder engines:
- The standard engine is the naturally-aspirated 1.8L inline-four Ecotec LUW. It makes 138 horsepower at 6300 RPM and 125 pound-feet of torque at 3800 RPM. The engine carries the LWE production code in California.
- The uplevel engine is the optional turbo-charged 1.4L inline-four Ecotec LUV. It makes 138 horsepower at 4900 RPM and 148 pound-feet of torque at:
- 1850 RPM with the automatic
- 2500 RPM with the manual
Official EPA fuel economy figures were not available at the time of the 2017 Sonic’s announcement.
The 2017 Chevy Sonic is available with a choice of a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission.
The 2017 Sonic remains a front-wheel drive vehicle.
The 2017 Chevy Sonic was announced on March 18th, 2016 just ahead of its debut at the 2016 New York International Auto Show.
The 2017 Sonic goes on sale this fall.
The 2017 Chevy Sonic will be available in most markets where Chevrolet vehicles are on sale, including:
- North America
- United States
- South America (availability varies by market)
- Australia (as Holden Barina)
- New Zealand (as Holden Barina)
- Russia (pending GM’s return to the market)
The 2017 Chevy Sonic will be offered in the following trim levels:
2017 Chevrolet Sonic Sedan
The 2017 Sonic sedan will offer the RS package as an option.
2017 Chevrolet Sonic Hatchback
The 2017 Sonic hatch will be equipped with the RS package as standard equipment.
2017 Chevy Sonic specs coming soon.