2020 Chevrolet Silverado
The 2020 Chevrolet Silverado lineup sees the following changes:
- Minor updates to the Light Duty Silverado 1500 model
- A complete overhaul (redesign and re-engineering) of the Heavy Duty Silverado 2500HD and 3500HD
- Minor updates to the Medium Duty Silverado 4500HD, 5500HD and 6500HD models
Notably, diesel-powered Silverado 1500 models saw a price drop at the end of the 2020 model year production run, which then carried over into the 2021 model year. Specifically, models equipped with the 3.0-liter Duramax LM2 Turbo Diesel received a $1,500 price reduction. The new starting price of $44,000 also applied to remaining 2020 units as of September 3rd, 2020.
|Assembly Location||GM Flint Assembly in Flint, Michigan, USA, GM Fort Wayne Assembly in Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA, GM Silao Plant in Mexico|
|Body Style(s)||Light-Duty, Heavy-Duty, and Medium-Duty Pickup Trucks|
|Engine(s)||2.7L L3B I4, 4.3L LV3 V6, 5.3L L82 V8, 5.3L L83 V8, 5.3L L84 V8, 6.0L LC8 V8, 6.0L L96 V8, 6.2L L87 V8, 6.6 L5P V8 Duramax (Diesel), 3.0L LM2 I6 Duramax (Diesel)|
|Transmission(s)||Allison 6-Speed Auto,6-Speed Auto, 8-Speed Auto, 10-Speed Auto|
|Drive Wheels||Rear-Wheel-Drive, Four-Wheel-Drive|
|Availability||U.S.A., Canada, Mexico|
|Predecessor||2018 Chevrolet Silverado|
|Successor||2020 Chevrolet Silverado|
2020 Silverado 1500
An all-new, fourth-generation Silverado Light Duty was released for the 2019 model year. As such, the 2020 Silverado LD gets a few minor changes and updates:
- No changes
- Deletion of Oakwood Metallic color
- Introduction of Vertical Trailering Mirrors
- 17-inch bright silver painted aluminum wheels (Q5U) are now free flow on 1WT (Work Truck)
- Addition of 22-inch carbon flash metallic wheels as LPO (dealer-installed) option; comes with 4 steel 22-inch wheels from the factory with alignment specs set to selected 22-inch LPO wheel
- Available on Custom, LT, RST, LTZ and High Country models
- Addition of 22-inch Bright Chrome wheels as LPO (dealer-installed) option; comes with 4 steel 22-inch wheels from the factory with alignment specs set to selected 22-inch LPO wheel
- Available on Custom, LT, RST, LTZ and High Country models
- Chrome bumpers are now free flow on 1WT (Work Truck)
- Introduction of Adaptive Cruise Control
- Available on Silverado LT, LTZ and High Country as part of the Safety Package II.
- HD Surround Vision is replaced with HD Surround Vision with Two Trailer Camera Provisions
- New availability of smart trailer technology allowing access to select features of the iN-Command Control System from ASA Electronics through the myChevrolet mobile app, either on compatible Android and iOS smartphones or through the in-vehicle trailering app on the vehicle’s infotainment system via Apple CarPlay or Android Auto compatibility.
- 10-speed automatic transmission replaces 8-speed automatic transmission on 4WD High Country and LT Trail Boss models with 5.3L V8 L84 EcoTec3 engine
- Expanded availability of turbocharged 2.7L I4 L3B engine, which is now available on Work Truck (1WT) and Custom (1CX) models
- Expanded availability of 6.2L V8 L87 EcoTec3 engine, which is now available on:
- Trail Boss Custom: the Custom Trail Boss with the 6.2L V8 starts at $43,865 (including destination fee), making it the most affordable light-duty truck with more than 400 horsepower on the market
- Trail Boss LT
- RST 4WD models, increasing the maximum towing capacity of the Silverado to a class-leading 13,400 pounds (when properly equipped)
- Introduction of Performance Upgrade Package for 6.2L V8 L87 engine. Package adds:
- Performance air intake
- Performance cat-back performance exhaust system
- Output increases to 435 horsepower and 469 pound-feet torque
- Launch of 3.0L I6 LM2 turbo-diesel Duramax engine:
- Available on LT, RST, LTZ and High Country models
- Delivers 277 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque
- Deletion of High Country Premium Package
- Addition of new Rally Edition on Custom and RST trims
- Addition of new Midnight Edition on LT Trail Boss model. Package
- Addition of WT Value Package on WT model
- Addition of LT Value Package on LT model
- Addition of RST Value Package on RST model
- Deletion of WT Appearance Package
- New availability of Texas Edition on Silverado RST
- Technology Package now includes Bed View Camera
- WT Convenience Package now available with pickup bed delete
- Tire Pressure Monitor System changed to Tire Pressure Monitor Sensors
See detailed 2020 Silverado changes, updates and new features here: 2020 Silverado 1500 change log.
The updates and changes described here are specific to the U.S. market and may differ for other markets.
2020 Silverado HD (2500HD, 3500HD)
Completely overhauled (redesigned and re-engineered) from the ground up for the 2020 model year on the GM T1 platform.
2020 Silverado Medium Duty (4500HD, 5500HD, 6500HD)
Introduced for the 2019 model year in collaboration with Navistar, the 2020 Silverado MD line gets a few minor changes and updates:
- Model line:
- New airbags
- Addition of traction control
- Addition of high idle switch
- Power Take Off (PTO) now has access on left hand side and right hand side
Coming Soon: See detailed 2020 Silverado changes, updates and new features here: 2020 Silverado Medium Duty change log.
2020 Chevrolet Silverado Lineup
|Category:||Light Duty||Heavy Duty||Heavy Duty||Medium Duty||Medium Duty||Medium Duty|
|Model:||Silverado 1500||Silverado 2500HD||Silverado 3500HD||Silverado 4500HD||Silverado 5500HD||Silverado 6500HD|
See 2020 Silverado changes, updates and new features here: 2020 Silverado change log.
The 2020 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is offered with the following engine and transmission choices:
|Engine||Fuel||Aspiration||Transmission||Power (hp / kW @ RPM)||Torque (lb-ft / Nm @ RPM)||Axle Ratio|
|4.3L LV3 V6||Gasoline||Atmospheric||6-Speed Automatic Heavy Duty (MYC)||276 / 205.9 @ 5200||298 / 402.3 @ 3900-5200||3.42|
|2.7L L3B Turbo I4||Gasoline||Turbocharged||8-Speed Automatic (MQE)||310 / 231.26 @ 5600||348 / 469.8 @ 1500 – 4000||3.42|
|5.3L L82 Ecotec3 V8||Gasoline||Atmospheric||6-Speed Automatic Heavy Duty (MYC)||355 / 246.83 @ 5600||383 / 517.05 @ 4100-5200||Standard 3.42, Available 3.73|
|5.3L L84 EcoTec3 V8||Gasoline||Atmospheric||8-Speed Automatic (MQE)||310 / 231.26 @ 5600||348 / 469.8 @ 1500 – 4000||Standard 3.23, Available 3.42|
|6.2L L87 Ecotec3 V8||Gasoline||Atmospheric||10-Speed Automatic (MQB)||420 / 313.32 @ 5600||460 / 621 @ 4100||Standard 3.23, Available 3.42|
|3.0L LM2 Duramax I6||Diesel||Turbocharged||10-Speed Automatic (MQB)||277 / 206.64 @ 3750||460 / 621 @ 1500||Standard 3.23, Available 3.73|
The 2020 Chevrolet Silverado HD is offered with the following engine and transmission choices:
|Engine||Fuel||Aspiration||Transmission||Horsepower @ RPM||Torque @ RPM||Axle|
|6.6L L8T V8||Gasoline||Naturally Aspirated||6-Speed Automatic (MYD)||401 @ 5200||464 @ 4000||3.73|
|6.6L Duramax L5P V8||Diesel||Turbocharged||10-speed Automatic (MGM, MGU)||445 @ 2800||910 @ 1600||3.42|
- The 2020 Silverado Light Duty rides on the GM T1 platform shared most directly with the 2020 GMC Sierra 1500. The same basic architecture will also used on the 2021 Chevrolet Tahoe/2021 Chevrolet Suburban, 2021 GMC Yukon, and 2021 Cadillac Escalade.
- The 2020 Silverado Heavy Duty rides on a more capable version of the same GM T1 platform
- The 2020 Silverado Medium Duty rides on a platform jointly developed by GM and Navistar
The 2020 Silverado is assembled at the following factories:
- GM Flint Assembly in Flint, Michigan, USA (LD and HD)
- GM Fort Wayne Assembly in Fort Wayne, Indiana, USA (LD)
- GM Silao Assembly in Silao, Mexico (LD)
The Silverado Medium Duty 4500HD, 5500HD, and 6500HD are built at the Navistar Springfield plant in Springfield, Ohio, United States.
2020 Silverado availability is as follows:
- 2020 Silverado 1500 – third quarter 2019 launch (carry-over model with some changes)
- 2020 Silverado HD – second quarter 2019 launch (all-new model)
- 2020 Silverado MD – second quarter 2019 launch (carry-over model with some changes)
We expect the following future for the Silverado beyond the 2020 model year:
- The light-duty Silverado 1500, in its fourth generation as of the 2019 model year, should remain in production thru the 2025 model year
- The heavy-duty Silverado 2500HD and 3500HD, in their fourth generation as of the 2020 model year, should remain in production thru the 2026 model year
- The medium-duty Silverado 4500HD, 5500HD, and 6500HD, now in their first generation, should remain in production thru the 2027 model year
An all-new, next Chevy Silverado will launch after the aforementioned models reach the end of their respective lifecycles.
Discuss the 2020 Chevrolet Silverado in our Chevrolet forum.
Improving on-road and off-road handling.
- 2020 Chevrolet Silverado Changes, Updates, New Features
- 2020 Chevrolet Silverado Lineup
- 2020 Chevrolet Silverado Medium Duty Conventional Truck