2022 Chevrolet Equinox
The Chevrolet Equinox was scheduled to receive a refresh in 2021 (see 2021 Chevrolet Equinox info), however, due to complications caused by the Coronavirus pandemic, the changes were pushed into the 2022 model year, which launches in the summer of 2021.
As such, the Equinox receives a mid-cycle enhancement (MCE) – otherwise known as an update, refresh or facelift – for the 2022 model year, consisting of updates to its exterior, interior and powertrain. The model made its official debut at the 2020 Chicago Auto Show, arriving with refreshed looks and a new RS trim.
|Assembly Location||Ramos Arizpe, Mexico; San Luis Potosí, Mexico; Ingersoll, Ontario, Canada|
|Body Style(s)||Compact-Size Crossover|
|Engine(s)||1.5L I4 Turbo (Gas)|
|Drive Wheels||Front-Wheel-Drive, All-Wheel-Drive|
|Availability||U.S.A., Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Colombia, South Korea, China|
|Predecessor||2021 Chevrolet Equinox|
|Successor||2023 Chevrolet Equinox|
Changes, Updates, New Features
- Deletion of FWD L 1SM (1XP26) equipment group
- Addition of FWD RS (1XR26) and AWD RS (1XY26) equipment groups
- Deletion of four exterior color options
- Addition of four new exterior colors
- Deletion of three wheel sets
- Deletion of Halogen composite headlamps
- Deletion of HID headlamps
- Deletion of LED Daytime Running Lamps with separate cavity
- Addition of LED Daytime Running Lamps
- LED headlamps are now standard on all equipment groups
- Body-color mirror caps are now standard on RS and Premier models, and remains standard on LT models
- Deletion of Active Aero Shutters
- Deletion of outside heated power-adjustable auto-dimming mirrors
- Addition of outside heated, power-adjustable, manual-folding mirrors with integrated turn signal indicators
- Deletion of chrome mirror caps
- Addition of Front reflex lamp marker
- Addition of new interior trims for every model
- Addition of Wireless Apple CarPlay/Wireless Android Auto
- Deletion of single-zone semi-automatic air conditioning
- Addition of single-zone manual air conditioning
- Addition of Front and Rear Park Assist
- Addition of Automatic Parking Assist
- SiriusXM Radio is now standard on all equipment groups
- Visor vanity mirrors are no longer illuminated on LS (1FL and 1LS) models
- Shift lever appearance is now chrome-trimmed
- HD Rear Vision Camera is no longer included in Infotainment Package
- Safety Alert Seat is now standard on Premier
- Heated steering wheel is now standard on Premier models and included with Infotainment Package on LT models
- Addition of Stop/Start disable switch
- Addition of Advanced Safety Package
- Addition of RS Leather Package
- Driver Confidence II Package now includes Front and Rear Park Assist on LT and Premier models
- Driver Confidence II Package is also now available on LS models
- Driver Confidence III Package now includes Automatic Parking Assist and no longer includes Safety Alert Seat
- Infotainment II Package now includes Chevrolet Infotainment 3 Plus system with connected Navigation
- Driver Convenience Package no longer includes front fog lamps or Universal Home Remote
- Driver Convenience Package II no longer includes heated steering wheel
- Heated steering wheel now included with Infotainment Package
- Deletion of Midnight Edition, which was only available on 1LT models
- Deletion of Sport Edition, which was only available on 1LT models
- Deletion of Redline Edition, which was available on Premier models
- Deletion of Leather Package, which was available on 1LT models
See detailed 2022 Equinox changes, updates and new features here: 2022 Chevrolet Equinox change log.
The updates and changes described here are specific to the U.S. market and may be different for other markets.
Models & Trims
The 2022 Chevrolet Equinox is offered as a retail or fleet model, with the L being the base model. All models are available in either front-wheel drive or all-wheel drive configurations, except for the base L model, which is only available with front-wheel drive.
2022 Equinox Retail & Fleet Trims:
- RS (new for 2022)
New RS model highlights:
- Gloss black grille
- 19-inch Dark Android wheels
- Black bowties
- Black badging
- Black side rails
- RS shift knob
- Red stitching on Black interior upholstery
New Premier model enhancements include:
- Gloss black grille with chrome inserts
- LED headlamps and taillamps
- New 19-inch machine faced wheel
- Logo projection lift gate
- French stitching on interior
- High black gloss finish on console
The refreshed 2022 Chevrolet Equinox will continue being offered in a single body style – a compact four-door crossover utility vehicle (SUV).
Styling changes applied to Chevy’s popular compact crossover include:
- New front grille, which now extends into the redesigned headlamps
- Restyled lower fascia
- New foglamps
- Redesigned taillamps
- Revised rear bumper
To be announced.
Aside from new technology and perhaps new color finishes and seat material combinations, the 2022 Chevrolet Equinox interior remains the same as previous models.
There’s also a new engine auto stop-start defeat switch.
The 2022 Chevrolet Equinox will offer the following standard features:
- Lane Keep Assist with Lane Departure Warning
- Rear Vision Camera
- Following Distance Indicator
- Automatic Emergency Braking
- Front Pedestrian Braking
- IntelliBeam headlamps
- Forward Collision Alert
The refreshed Equinox will also offer the following, key safety and driver assistance features:
- HD Surround Vision
- Camera-based Adaptive Cruise Control
- Automatic Parking Assist
- Safety Alert Seat
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Front Park Assist
- Rear Park Assist
- Lane Change Alert with Side Blind Zone Alert
The 2022 Chevrolet Equinox offers a single gasoline engine choice:
|Engine||Fuel||Aspiration||Transmission||Horsepower @ RPM||Torque @ RPM||Axle|
|1.5L LYX I4||Gasoline||Turbocharged||6-speed automatic MNH||170 @ 5600||203 @ 2000-4000||3.50, 3.87|
An engine auto stop-start defeat switch was introduced for the 2022 model year.
Incidentally, the up-level 2.0 turbo engine will not be returning.
Like all third-generation units of the Chevrolet Equinox, the 2022 Equinox continues to ride on the GM D2 platform shared with the following vehicles:
- Chevrolet Cruze
- Chevrolet Volt / Buick Velite
- Buick Verano
- GMC Terrain
- Buick Envision
- Buick Cascada / Opel Cascada
- Opel Astra K / Vauxhall Astra K
The 2022 Chevrolet Equinox will be assembled at the following factories:
- GM CAMI plant in Ontario, Canada operated by GM Canada (production ended in April 2022)
- GM Ramos plant in Ramos Arizpe, Coahuila, Mexico operated by GM Mexico
- GM San Luis Potosí plant in San Luis Potosí, Mexico operated by GM Mexico
- GM-SAIC Wuhan II in Hubei, China operated by Shanghai-GM
The 2022 Equinox launched in the summer of the 2021 calendar year.
We expect that the third-generation Equinox will live on thru at least the 2022 and 2023 model year, and that an all-new, future Chevy Equinox will launch thereafter.
See Chevrolet Equinox sales numbers for all markets, including the United States, Canada, Mexico, China and South Korea.
- Chevrolet Equinox sales are comprised of all Equinox variants
- Information for market (country) specified.
- Sales information compiled from various sources by GM Authority and Motrolix.
Discuss the 2022 Chevy Equinox in our Chevrolet forum.
Offered prior to the model refresh. An early look at electric crossover’s cabin design.
Chevrolet Equinox News
Offered prior to the model refresh.
An early look at electric crossover’s cabin design.
- 2022 Chevrolet Equinox Changes, Updates, New Features