2017 Chevrolet Cruze Hatch
One of the updates to the Chevy Cruze is the addition of a five-door hatchback model. The introduction of the Cruze Hatch would be most notable for the North American market, where the first-generation Cruze was exclusively offered as a four-door sedan.
“With 9 percent market growth in small hatchbacks last year, it’s the perfect time to bring the Cruze Hatch to America,” said Alan Batey, president, General Motors North America and Global Chevrolet. “As Cruze continues to set the tone for Chevrolet globally, it articulates the brand promise of offering cars with the latest technologies, more features and greater efficiency, performance and safety with fresh, distinctive styling.”
The Cruze Hatch has the same, class-leading 106.3-inch (2,700 mm) wheelbase as sedan models, but features a unique roof and rear-end structure – including wraparound taillamps and an integrated spoiler at the top of the liftgate. It opens to offer 22.7 cubic feet (643 liters) of cargo space behind the rear seat. With the rear seat folded, cargo space expands to 47.2 cubic feet (1,336 liters).
An all-new, more rigid and lighter architecture is the Cruze’s foundation for driving dynamism, while also playing a significant role in safety and efficiency. It is more than 200 pounds (91 kg) lighter than the previous-generation model due largely to a body structure that is 100 pounds lighter and an engine that’s 44 pounds (20 kg) lighter.
The Cruze lineup in North America is offered in L, LS, LT and Premier – and a more expressive RS package, featuring unique front and rear fascias, rocker panels, rear spoiler, fog lamps and – on the Premier model – 18-inch wheels.
The 2017 Cruze Hatch will be offered in LT and Premier trims, and with the RS package.
- Segment-exclusive standard Apple CarPlay and Android Auto compatibility via the MyLink radio systems and available 4G LTE with Wi-Fi hotspot
- More standard safety features than any other compact car – including Corolla and Civic – with available adaptive features including Lane Keep Assist, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Park Assist
- Available Teen Driver feature helps support safe driving habits and offers driving statistics for parents
- Standard 1.4L turbo engine with direct injection and Stop/Start technologies, electric power steering and, on Premier models, a Z-link rear suspension
- Interior with midsize-level roominess, including two inches greater rear legroom than Ford Focus and Hyundai Elantra
- Available features include a heated steering wheel, heated front and rear seats, Athens leather-appointed seating surfaces, true French seams and halogen projector-beam headlamps with LED signature lighting.
The 2017 Chevy Cruze joins Colorado and Trax as the latest Chevrolets to push into new segments.
The 2017 Cruze hatch will compete in the mainstream compact hatchback segment agains the following vehicles:
- Ford Focus Hatchback
- Hyundai Elantra GT
- Kia Forte5 Hatchback
- Mazda3 Hatchback
- Volkswagen Golf
- Honda Civic hatchback (future vehicle)
The 2017 Cruze hatchback is produced at GM’s Ramos Arizpe plant in Mexico.
The 2017 Chevy Cruze Hatch will become available in the North American market in the fall of 2016.
The 2017 Chevy Cruze Hatch will be available in all markets where Chevrolet is available, including:
- North America
- South and Central America (select markets)
- Australia and New Zealand (as Holden markets)
Following is information we obtained prior to the official announcement and reveal of the Cruze hatchback.
Though General Motors and Chevrolet have yet to officially announce and confirm the Cruze hatchback for the North America market, GM CFO John Stepleton confirmed that a next-generation Chevrolet Cruze hatchback, based on the all-new 2016 Chevrolet Cruze Sedan, will grace the U.S. market during a presentation to investors at the Citi 2015 Industrials Conference in Boston. The confirmation follows news of a new Cruze hatch being showed to Chevrolet dealers months ago at a dealer meeting in Las Vegas.
Chevy Cruze Hatch specs coming soon.