2021 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2
The 2021 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 receives various updates for the seventh model year of the second-generation Colorado. While this light update is as close to a mid-cycle refresh/MCE as it gets, it is not an official refresh/MCE, but a light makeover of sorts. We initially expected the Colorado refresh to arrive for the 2019 and 2020 model years, neither of which took place.
Notably, the ZR2 will be the only Colorado model to feature the all-new, lettered, flow-through “Chevrolet” front fascia. All told, the ZR2’s new front end looks even more aggressive, which adds to its dynamic, “segment of one” appearance.
|Assembly location||GM Wentzville Plant, Missouri, USA|
|Engine||3.6L V-6 LGZ, Duramax 2.8L I-4 LWN|
|Transmission||6-Speed Auto, 8-Speed Auto|
|Drive wheels||Rear-Wheel or Four-Wheel Drive|
The following is a list of highlighted features that make the Colorado ZR2 distinctly different from the other 2021 Chevrolet Colorado models:
- All-new, lettered, flow-through “Chevrolet” front fascia
- Segment-exclusive Multimatic DSSV position-sensitive dampers
- 2-inch suspension lift
- Cast iron control arms
- 3.5-inch wider track
- Standard front and rear electronic locking differentials
- Autotrac transfer case
- Off-road rocker protection
- Multiple skid plates
- Standard red tow hooks
- Sand Dune Metallic exterior color option
- Shared only with the Colorado Z71 model
Changes, Updates, New Features
- Revised front fascia
- ZR2 Off-Road Package now includes “CHEVROLET” lettered grille with “flowtie”
- Addition of three exterior colors
- Deletion of five exterior colors
- Addition of three wheel and one tire option
- Deletion of five wheel and three tire options
- Addition and deletion of various LPO-level items
See detailed 2021 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 changes, updates and new features here: 2021 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 log.
The updates and changes described here are specific to the U.S. market and may be different for other markets.
The 2021 Chevy Colorado ZR2 is offered as a midsize pickup truck with the following cab and bed configurations:
- Extended Cab, Long Box
- Crew Cab, Short Box
Model Lineup / Trim Levels
The 2021 Colorado ZR2 is the range topping model, slotting above all other trim levels.
|Trim level:||Work Truck||LT||Z71||ZR2|
|Equipment group:||2WT, 4WT||2LT, 4LT||2Z7, 4Z7||4ZR|
The 2021 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 is offered with the following powertrain options:
|Engine||Transmission||Horsepower @ RPM||Torque @ RPM||Rear Axle|
|3.6L V-6 LGZ Gasoline||8-Speed Automatic (M5T)||308 @ 6800||275 @ 4000||3.42|
|2.8L I-4 LWN Diesel||6-Speed Automatic (MYB)||181 @ 3400||369 @ 2000||3.42|
Like all second-generation units of the Chevy Colorado, the 2021 Colorado ZR2 rides on the GMT 31XX platform shared with the following vehicles:
- 2015 and newer GMC Canyon
- 2013 and newer Chevrolet and Holden Colorado for international markets
- 2014 and newer Chevrolet Trailblazer, also known as the Holden Colorado 7 and Holden Trailblazer
The 2021 Chevy Colorado ZR2 followed regular GM model year rollover sequence, and launched during the third quarter of calendar year 2020. Notably, complications caused by COVID-19 caused a bit of a delay.
We expect the Chevrolet Colorado to remain in production for at least the thru the 2022 model year, and that an all-new, future Chevy Colorado will launch for the 2023 model year.
See Chevy Colorado sales numbers for all markets, worldwide
- Information for market (country) specified.
- Sales information compiled from various sources by GM Authority and Motrolix.
Discuss the 2021 Chevy Colorado ZR2 in our Chevrolet forum.
Colorado ZR2 News
And there was almost a version for the U.S. market, too.
How do these two stack up with regard to towing and payload?
- 2021 Chevrolet Colorado ZR2 Changes, Updates, New Features