2018 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28
The 2018 model year could very well serve as the year for the introduction and launch of the track-focused Camaro Z/28 variant of the sixth-generation Camaro.
Following is speculative and unconfirmed information about the 2018 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28. This page is a continuous work-in-progress and will be updated on a regular basis as we await official details from General Motors and Chevrolet.
If you notice any inaccuracies about the information provided, have recommendations, or suggestions to share, please let us know here.
Like all Camaro Z/28 variants, the purpose of the rumored 2018 Camaro Z/28 is to make a car that dominates at the track. As such, here’s what we expect:
- Be the lightest sixth-generation Camaro thanks to creative weight-shedding techniques
- Have a potent V-8 engine — though which engine this could be is very much a mystery at this point
- Be offered with a six-speed manual transmission with a electronic limited slip differential sending power to the rear wheels
- Feature highly-efficient cooling systems, a fully-integrated aerodynamics package, and a track-focused suspension
- Have various enhancements to the interior that enable high-performance track driving
The powertrain of the 2018 Camaro Z/28 is currently unknown. However, following are our most thought-out predictions:
2018 Camaro Z/28 Engine
We expect to find a naturally-aspirated V-8 under the hood of the 2018 Chevy Camaro Z/28. As of this writing, General Motors’ LT family of fifth-generation Small Block V8 engines does not have a replacement for the 7.0L LS7 V-8 found in the fifth-generation Camaro Z/28. Such a motor could potentially be under development as the LT7.
2018 Camaro Z/28 Transmission
It’s likely that, as a sports car developed for high-performance track driving, the 2018 Camaro Z/28 will only offer a manual transmission. It’s possible that this gearbox will be none other than the TREMEC TR6060 found in the fifth-generation Camaro Z/28, but tuned for the new model.
2018 Camaro Z/28 Drivetrain
Like all sixth-gen Camaros, the 2018 Camaro Z/28 will be rear-wheel drive.
Like all sixth generation Camaros, the rumored 2018 Camaro Z/28 will ride on GM’s capable Alpha platform.
The 2018 Camaro Z/28 has been spied:
- 2018 Camaro Z/28 spy shots: March 2016 with a massive rear wing