2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1LE V8 SS
Distinguished by a satin black hood, specific wheels and more, Chevrolet is looking to set new benchmarks for attainable track performance with the 1LE package for the sixth-gen Camaro. Building off the success of the previous, fifth-generation 1LE and offering increased handling and track performance, the 1LE package elevates the award-winning performance that earned Camaro the 2016 Motor Trend Car of the Year and Car and Driver 10Best awards.
“The Camaro 1LE packages follow a recipe any track-day enthusiast will appreciate,” said Al Oppenheiser, Camaro chief engineer. “Start with a lightweight, stiff structure and then add higher levels of suspension stiffness and damping, more aggressive tires, higher downforce, more powerful brakes and more cooling.
In addition to the Camaro SS V8, the 1LE package is also available for the V6-powered Camaro LT, albeit with different features and equipment, representing the first time that the 1LE package is available on a six-cylinder Camaro. The V6-powered 2017 Camaro 1LE LT delivers comparable performance to the fifth-generation Camaro 1LE SS, while the more potent 2017 Camaro 1LE SS is even faster. See more on the Camaro 1LE V6.
“The result delivers better performance in all measures,” said Oppenheiser. “In our development tests, the V-6 Camaro 1LE delivers lap times comparable with the previous-gen V-8 model. The 2016 Camaro SS 1LE sets the new benchmark for the segment, lapping the Big Willow track at Willow Springs three seconds faster than the standard Camaro SS.”
On the 2017 Camaro SS, the 1LE package includes:
- 6.2L LT1 V8 rated at 455 horsepower mated to six-speed manual transmission (automatic transmission not available)
- FE4 suspension system with Magnetic Ride Control, with specific tuning for the Magnetic Ride dampers, springs and stabilizer bars
- Track-cooling package, with engine oil, differential and transmission coolers
- Segment-exclusive electronic limited-slip differential with 3.73 ratio
- Brembo brakes with new six-piston monobloc front red calipers with 1LE logo and two-piece rotors measuring 14.6 inches (370mm) in diameter. In fact, the front rotors of the 2017 Camaro SS 1LE are 7 percent larger those of the standard Camaro SS
- Standard dual mode exhaust system
- Unique, black 20-inch forged aluminum wheels
- Goodyear Eagle F1 tires with a unique compound and construction developed exclusively for the Camaro for exceptional grip on the track:
- 285/30ZR20 in the front and
- 305/30ZR20 in the rear
- Satin black hood, front mirrors and unique three-piece rear spoiler
- Satin Graphite front splitter and rear diffuser
- Standard Recaro front seats with aggressive bolsters optimized for shifting and steering comfort
- Suede steering wheel
- Suede shorter-throw shifter
- Available Performance Data Recorder (PDR)
Availability of the 1LE package on the 2017 Camaro SS is as follows:
Models And Trims
The 2017 Camaro 1LE SS package is offered with a single engine and transmission combination, as well as one trim level and one body style.
The 2017 Camaro 1LE SS V8 is powered by the 6.2L V8 LT1 making 455 horsepower @ 6000 rpm and 455 pound-feet of torque @ 4400 rpm.
By comparison, the 2017 Camaro 1LE LT V6 is powered by the 3.6L LGX V6 making 335 horsepower @ 6800 rpm and 284 pound-feet of torque @ 5300 rpm.
The 2017 Camaro 1LE SS is available exclusively with a 6-speed manual transmission, which includes Active Rev Matching.
3. Trim Levels
The 2017 Camaro 1LE SS is available exclusively on the 1SS trim level. It is not available with the 2SS trim level.
Meanwhile, the 2017 Camaro 1LE V6 LT is available in the 1LT and 2LT trim levels. The 1LE package is not available with the Turbo 2.0L I4 LTG engine.
4. Body Style
The 2017 Camaro 1LE SS is offered exclusively on the hard-top coupe body style. It is not available on the soft-top Camaro Convertible because the drop-top does not provide the necessary structural rigidity (stiffness) properties.
The 2017 Camaro 1LE SS package is available in all markets where the 2017 Camaro is available. Engine availability varies by market.
The 2017 Camaro 1LE SS goes on sale at the end of 2016 as a 2017 model year vehicle.
The 1LE package for the 2017 Camaro SS is a $6,500 option. As such, adding the package results in a total vehicle price of $44,990 for the 1LE V8 1SS, before adding any other options.
|Model Year||Make||Model||Trim Level||Trim Level Starting Price||1LE Price||Total Starting Price|
The 2017 Camaro 1LE was unveiled at the 2016 Chicago Auto Show on February 9th, 2016 in both V8 SS and V6 LT guises.
On August 8th, 2016, Chevrolet announced the following performance figures for the 2017 Chevrolet Camaro 1LE SS:
- 0-60 mph in 4.2 seconds
- 1.02 g max cornering
- 60-0 mph braking in 107 feet (32 meters)
- 230-pound (104 kilogram) weight reduction over fifth-generation SS 1LE
In February 2016, chief Camaro engineer, Al Oppenheiser, stated that the SS 1LE package would more than likely outperform the Ford Shelby GT350, and these performance stats seem to support that claim, as the Ford Shelby GT350 takes 4.3 seconds to reach 60 mph. Though the difference is not substantial, it is worth noting that the 1LE is a package add on, which makes the feat even more incredible.
We will update this section when 2017 Camaro 1LE SS V8 specifications become available.
Compared to the V8-powered SS 1LE, the Camaro V6 1LE:
- Has less potent brakes
- Has a less capable limited slip differential, but not the electronic unit found on the SS
- Lacks the Magnetic Ride Control
- Has smaller wheels and tires
- Offers the Recaro performance front bucket seats as an option, while the SS 1LE has them standard
- Offers the head-up display as an option, while the SS 1LE has the feature standard
- Doesn’t offer an auxiliary engine cooler and transmission oil cooler
In addition, the V6 LT 1LE is also 120 horsepower less powerful and has a slightly different front fascia, with the most noticeable difference being its vertical LED accents of the V6 model versus the horizontal units of the V8. All that isn’t to say anything negative about the 2017 Camaro LT 1LE: it’s still an extremely impressive and capable vehicle… just not as impressive or capable as the SS 1LE.
Following is the complete comparison between the Camaro 1LE V6 LT to the Camaro 1LE V8 SS.
|Model||2017 Camaro LT||LT RPO||2017 Camaro SS||SS RPO|
|Engine||3.6L V6 DI VVT – 335 hp, 284 lb-ft of torque||LGX||6.2L V8 DI – 455 hp, 455 lb-ft of torque||LT1|
|Transmission||6-speed manual||MN6||6-speed manual with Active Rev Matching||MN6|
|Package||LT 1LE Performance Package||A1X||SS 1LE Performance Package||A1Y|
|Brakes||Brembo 4-piston front performance, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc brakes||J55||Brembo Red 6-piston front monobloc calipers, 4-piston rear calipers, 2-piece performance rotors, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc brakes||J6M|
|LSD||limited slip differential with 3.27 ratio||G80||electronic limited slip differential with 3.73 ratio***||G96|
|Exhaust||dual-mode performance exhaust||NPP||dual-mode performance exhaust||NPP|
|Suspension||performance suspension, including dampers, rear cradle mounts, ball-jointed rear toe links and stabilizer bars||FE3||performance suspension||FE4|
|Adjustable Suspension System||not included and not available||—||Magnetic Ride Control||F55|
|Splitter||satin black front splitter||FTF||satin black front splitter||FTJ|
|Headlamps||high intensity discharge headlamps||T4F||high intensity discharge headlamps*||T4F|
|Hood Decor||satin black hood wrap||DSM||satin black hood wrap||DSM|
|Spoiler||satin black rear blade spoiler||D5S||satin black rear blade spoiler||D5S|
|Tire Brand & Model||Goodyear Eagle F1 summer-only run-flats||R0F||Goodyear Eagle F1 summer-only run-flats||R0G|
|Wheel Type||black forged aluminum wheels||56Z||satin graphite forged aluminum wheels||RSK|
|Front Wheels||20" x 8.5"||56Z||20" x 10"||RSK|
|Rear Wheels||20" x 9.5",56Z,20"" x 11""||RSK|
|Steering Wheel||microfiber suede-wrapped flat-bottom steering wheel||N26||microfiber suede-wrapped flat-bottom steering wheel||N26|
|Shifter||microfiber suede-wrapped shift knob||KS9||microfiber suede-wrapped shift knob||KS9|
|Seats||standard sport front bucket seats / available Recaro performance front bucket seats||A50 / AQJ||Recaro performance front bucket seats||AQJ|
|HUD||not included in LT 1LE package; available in Convenience and Lighting Package (ZN2)||—||head-up display||UV6|
|Oil Cooler||external engine oil cooler*||KC4||external engine oil cooler**||KC4|
|Cooling System||extra capacity cooling system*||V03||extra capacity cooling system**||V03|
|Rear Diff Cooler||rear differential cooler*||KNR||rear differential cooler**||KNR|
|Aux Engine Coolant||not included and not available||—||auxiliary engine coolant**||V18|
|Transmission Oil Cooler||not included and not available||—||transmission oil cooler**||KD1|
- * This feature may be listed under Heavy-Duty Cooling and Brake Package (Y4Q)
- ** This feature is not specific to the 1LE package, since it is included on all Camaro SS models
- *** This feature replaces the limited slip differential (G80) of SS models not equipped with the 1LE package