2019 Cadillac XT4 Platform
The 2019 Cadillac XT4 rides on the GM E2 platform.
The architecture is front-drive-based, with a transverse engine orientation and a capability for all-wheel-drive.
Other vehicles using the E2 platform include:
- Ninth-generation 2016 Chevrolet Malibu and newer
- Second-generation 2017 Opel Insignia range and newer
- Sixth-generation 2018 Buick Regal Sportback and TourX and newer
- Fifth-generation (ZB) 2018 Holden Commodore and newer
It is believed that the E2 platform was chosen for the XT4 for two primary reasons:
- The rear-drive-based GM Alpha platform does not support crossover utility vehicles, necessitating a significant time investment to engineer the architecture. Time was a luxury Cadillac did not have thanks to the opportunity cost (losing potential sales/customers) due to the fact that it was entering the compact crossover space extremely late, and
- The compact front-drive GM D2 platform, which is made specifically for vehicles of the XT4 size, did not support six-cylinder engines – which the XT4 will likely offer