Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing
The Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing was officially unveiled on February 1st, 2021 and is expected to enter the market during the summer of 2021 as a 2022 model year vehicle.
The familiar supercharged 6.2-liter LT4 V8 under the hood, but with a slight power-bump compared to the third-generation CTS-V, which is enough to propel the super sedan to a top speed of over 200 miles per hour. The biggest distinction from its indirect predecessor, however, is a 6-speed manual transmission, which is standard for the CT5-V Blackwing and was unavailable for the third-gen CTS-V.
The 2022 CT5-V Blackwing model has only been confirmed for the U.S. market so far.
|Model years:||2022 – Present|
|Assembly Location:||Lansing Grand River Plant, Michigan, USA|
|Engine:||Supercharged 6.2L V-8 LT4|
|Transmission:||6-Speed Manual, GM Hydra-Matic 10-Speed Auto"|
The 2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing representing the first-ever model year for the nameplate, meaning the first-generation has not yet entered the market. This hasn’t kept the brand from building up a ton of hype and excitement for the upcoming product.
As stated, the high-performance luxury sedan will feature the stout and supercharged LT4 gen-five small block V8 with a Cadillac-estimated output of 668 horsepower and 659 pound-feet of torque, which is a slight bump compared to the engine’s output under the hood of a third-gen CTS-V, which put out 640 horsepower and 640 pound-feet of torque. Notably, the CT5-V Blackwing’s application of the engine now represents its highest output, surpassing the 650 horsepower and 650 pound-feet of torque generated by the sixth-gen Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 and seventh-generation Corvette Z06.
The 2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing offers two optional carbon-fiber packages, dubbed Carbon Fiber 1 Package (CF1 Pkg) and Carbon Fiber 2 Package (CF2 Pkg). Here’s a look at the components included in each, along with pricing info:
Carbon Fiber 1 Package – $4,100
- Front splitter
- Front wheel well deflectors
- Rear extra aero spoiler
Carbon Fiber 2 Package – $5,230
- Grille header
- Rocker moldings
- Rocker extensions
- Rear valance diffuser
- Requires Carbon Fiber 1 Package
For the 2022 model year, the high-performance sedan also offers a standard Brembo braking system and an available carbon ceramic braking system. High-performance, summer tires are also standard for both the CT4-V Blackwing and CT5-V Blackwing sedans.
The 2022 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing alos features the fourth generation of Magnetic Ride Control (MR 4.0), with improvements to the front and rear suspension systems. Stiffer spring rates, unique hollow stabilizer bars, higher-rate bushings and more enable a driving experience that isolates the driver from road imperfections, while also providing a precise, engaging connection with the road.
The performance data and video recorder is another option for buyers who want to log their track sessions.
- May 29, 2019: GM announces all-new, 2020 Cadillac CT5-V as new, intermediate performance model
- June 1, 2019: GM shows “next-level Cadillac CT5-V” prototype at the 2019 Detroit Grand Prix
- June 14, 2019: Cadillac performance variants manager, Mirza Grebovic, says that Cadillac V-Series models will “go out with a bang” before EVs take over
- July 1, 2019: GM Authority exclusively reports that next-level Cadillac CT5-V will be called “Blackwing”
- July 16, 2019: GM Authority reports that Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing will be powered by supercharged V8
- July 31, 2019: GM Authority spies CT5-V Blackwing prototype on video
- October 11, 2019: more spy shots show best look yet at CT5-V Blackwing prototype
- November 26 ,2019: reports indicate that the CT5-V Blackwing will not feature Cadillac’s twin-turbo Blackwing V8 engine
- December 17, 2019: new spy shots reveal CT5-V Blackwing front fascia
- January 25, 2020: GM Authority reports that CT5-V Blackwing will feature supercharged 6.2L V8 LT4 engine and offer the option for a manual transmission
- March 20, 2020: new spy shots show best look yet at CT5-V Blackwing prototype
- April 2, 2020: COVID-19 pandemic delays various GM vehicle launches, including CT5- Blackwing
- April 14, 2020: GM confirms Blackwing name for next-level CT5-V sedan and shares soundtrack of CT5-V accelerating, as well as a teaser image of the rear three-quarters of the CT5-V Blackwing
- May 14, 2020: GM Authority renders upcoming Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing sedan
- May 27, 2020: GM Authority reports that CT5-V Blackwing will not be made available in China
- June 17, 2020: GM Authority spies CT5-V Blackwing with bronze wheels
- August 20, 2020: GM teases CT5-V Blackwing steering wheel and GM Authority notices some easter eggs on the steering wheel teaser
- October 30, 2020: GM announces that the CT5-V Blackwing and CT4-V Blackwing will offer magnesium wheels as an option
- October 31, 2020: GM Authority confirms that CT5-V Blackwing will go on sale in the summer of 2021 as a 2022 model year vehicle
- November 9, 2020: GM Authority learns that CT5-V Blackwing will wear wider front and rear tires than third-generation CTS-V
- December 10, 2020: GM announces that the CT5-V Blackwing (and CT4-V Blackwing) will ship standard with a manual transmission with 3D printed parts
From a positioning standpoint, the CT5-V Blackwing is a direct successor to the first-generation ATS-V Sedan. From a mechanical standpoint, the CT5-V Blackwing will be closer related to the third-generation CTS-V Sedan.
The Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing will be assembled at the GM Lansing Grand River plant in Lansing, Michigan.
The CT5-V Blackwing was first announced for the United States market. Other markets where we expect the vehicle to be sold include the Canada, the Middle East and Russia. It’s unlikely that the super sedan will be available in Europe, South Korea or Mexico. Additionally, the CT5-V Blackwing will not be made available in China, as first reported by GM Authority.
The Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing will compete directly against the following vehicles:
- BMW M3
- Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG / C63 AMG S
- Audi RS5 Sportback
- Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
Additionally, thanks to its larger size, the CT5-V Blackwing will also indirectly compete with the BMW M5, Mercedes-Benz E63 AMG / E63 AMG S, and Audi RS7.
Discuss the Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing in our Cadillac forum.
More CT5-V Blackwing news
Low-interest financing and national lease also available on the luxury sedan.
Finally, unique badging for the super sedans.