Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing
The Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing was first seen in a teaser aired during the Rolex 24 At Daytona endurance race, and was officially unveiled on February 1st, 2021. The range-topping model is set to enter the market during the summer of 2021 as a 2022 model year vehicle.
|Model years:||2022 – Present|
|Assembly Location:||Lansing Grand River Plant, Michigan, USA|
|Engine:||Twin-turbocharged 3.6L V-6 LF4|
|Transmission:||6-Speed Manual, GM Hydra-Matic 10-Speed Auto"|
The first-gen CT4-V Blackwing sedan is equipped with the torquey twin-turbocharged 3.6-liter LFY V6 under the hood, with a boosted output rating of about 10 more horsepower compared to its in indirect predecessor, the beloved ATS-V.
The CT4-V Blackwing rides on the GM Alpha 2 platform, which is an upgraded iteration of the first-generation Alpha platform. The all-new model will be assembled at the GM Lansing Grand River plant in Lansing, Michigan, and was designed and engineered to compete directly against the following vehicles:
- BMW M2 Coupe
- Mercedes-Benz A45 AMG and CLA45 AMG
- Audi RS3
Additionally, thanks to its larger size, the CT4-V Blackwing will also indirectly compete with the BMW M3, Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG / C63 AMG S, and Audi RS5 Sportback.
From a positioning standpoint, the CT4-V Blackwing will represent an all-new entry for Cadillac, which has never had an ultra-high-performance vehicle in the C-sedan segment. From a mechanical standpoint, the CT4-V Blackwing will be more closely related to the first-generation ATS-V Sedan.
The 2022 Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing model has only been confirmed for the U.S. market so far. That said, we expect the high-performance variant to also make its way to Canada, Mexico, the Middle East, and possibly Russia.
The 2022 CT4-V Blackwing offers various performance-enhancing equipment, including two optional carbon-fiber packages, dubbed Carbon Fiber 1 Package (CFZ Pkg) and Carbon Fiber 2 Package (CFV Pkg).
Carbon Fiber 1 Package – $4,100
- Front splitter
- Front wheel well deflectors
- Front dive planes
- Rear extra aero spoiler
Carbon Fiber 2 Package – $5,230
- Requires Carbon Fiber 1 Package
- Rocker moldings
- Rocker extensions
- Rear valance diffuser
Those looking to order their very own Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing should be aware that the Carbon Fiber 2 Package cannot be ordered without the Carbon Fiber 1 Package, meaning that the total cost of the Carbon Fiber 2 Package is $9,330. While the carbon fiber components are often seen as a cosmetic enhancement, the performance aspect is arguably more important. According to Cadillac, the wind-tunnel-tested carbon fiber packages can reduce lift by 75 percent compared to the standard aero.
Brembo brakes are standard for the high-performance sedan, though it does not offer a carbon ceramic option like the larger CT5-V Blackwing.
A ‘high-performance’ steering wheel is also available, and is included with either of the optional high-performance front seats. Compared to the standard steering wheel, the optional steering wheel is leather-bound instead of sueded microfiber and includes a V-Mode button, Performance Traction Management switch, carbon fiber trim, and VIN numbering.
The performance data and video recorder is another option for buyers who want to log their track sessions.
- May 29, 2019: GM announces all-new, 2020 Cadillac CT4-V as new, intermediate performance model
- June 1, 2019: GM shows “next-level Cadillac CT4-V” prototype at the 2019 Detroit Grand Prix
- June 5, 2019: GM President, Mark Reuss, reflects on Cadillac’s new two-tier V-Series strategy
- June 14, 2019: Cadillac performance variants manager, Mirza Grebovic, says that Cadillac V-Series models will “go out with a bang” before EVs take over
- June 27, 2019: “next-level” Cadillac CT4-V spied running laps
- July 1, 2019: GM Authority exclusively reports that next-level Cadillac CT4-V will be called “Blackwing”
- July 16, 2019: CT4-V Blackwing rumored to use twin-turbo 3.6L V6 LF4 engine from ATS-V
- July 31, 2019: new spy video shows CT4-V Blackwing prototype, seemingly with twin-turbo V6 engine note and manual transmission
- August 8, 2019: Cadillac President, Steve Carlisle, says that GM is committed to V-Series performance products
- December 18, 2019: Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing spied undergoing testing, revealing more about high-performance sedan
- January 28, 2020: GM Authority discovers via its sources that CT4-V Blackwing will, in fact, use the LF4 engine from ATS-V
- March 17, 2020: another CT4-V Blackwing prototype spied undergoing testing
- March 30, 2020: GM Authority publishes “What to expect from Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing“
- April 2, 2020: COVID-19 pandemic delays various GM vehicle launches, including CT5- Blackwing
- April 18, 2020: a report indicates that HSV could import CT4-V Blackwing to Australia
- April 24, 2020: GM Authority renders the CT4-C Blackwing
- May 27, 2020: GM Authority reports that CT4-V Blackwing will not be made available in China
- June 29, 2020: CT4-V Blackwing caught testing at GM proving grounds
- August 20, 2020: GM teases CT4-V Blackwing steering wheel and GM Authority notices some easter eggs on the steering wheel teaser
- October 28, 2020: GM Authority spies CT4-V Blackwing prototype undergoing testing, giving us our best look yet at the upcoming super sedan
- October 30, 2020: GM announces that the CT5-V Blackwing and CT4-V Blackwing will offer magnesium wheels as an option
- October 31, 2020: GM Authority confirms that CT4-V Blackwing will go on sale in the summer of 2021 as a 2022 model year vehicle
- December 10, 2020: GM announces that the CT4-V Blackwing (and CT5-V Blackwing) will ship standard with a manual transmission with 3D printed parts
See Cadillac CT4 sales numbers for all markets, including the United States, Canada, Middle East, Russia, and South Korea.
- Cadillac CT4 sales are comprised of all CT4 variants, including CT4, CT4-V, and CT4-V Blackwing.
- Information for market (country) specified.
- Sales information compiled from various sources by GM Authority and Motrolix.
Discuss the Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing in our Cadillac forum.
More CT4-V Blackwing News
Performance four-door, as you see fit.
Just 99 examples will be produced in Maverick Noir Frost.