As more electric vehicles find their way onto public roads, tire companies are developing tires specifically designed to maximize an EV’s road-going performance. With that in mind, Goodyear has just announced the arrival of the latest tire in its ElectricDrive lineup, the all-season ElectricDrive 2.
While the ElectricDrive 2 tire boasts a bevy of electric vehicle-related features, Goodyear made sure to address two aspects that it found extremely important to EV drivers, maintaining a quiet ride and wet road performance. To this end, the roller is equipped with a built-in sound barrier that serves to reduce interior vehicle noise, and a specially-designed tread pattern for sublime handling in wet or dry conditions.
It’s worth noting that Goodyear offers two other EV-focused tires, including the ElectricDrive and the ElectricDrive GT.
The ElectricDrive 2 is equipped with a plethora features and benefits, including:
- SoundComfort Technology foam – helps to reduce the level of interior vehicle sound
- At least 50 percent sustainable materials – including soybean oil in the tire construction, rice husk ash silica and sustainably sourced natural rubber
- Asymmetric tread pattern – optimized to improve grip and responsiveness on wet and dry roads
- Long-lasting tread compound – designed to help EV drivers get more miles out of their tires
- Aerodynamic sidewall – lowers aerodynamic drag and enables lower rolling resistance
Notably, the ElectricDrive 2 will be available in 17 sizes and up for purchase in May 2024.
“With the continued adoption of EVs, we want to meet consumer and market needs with an updated EV replacement tire,” Goodyear Americas Product Development Vice President David Reese claimed in a prepared statement. “We know EV drivers prioritize performance and a more-sustainable tire. The ElectricDrive 2 was designed with at least 50 percent sustainable materials, a focus on providing greater traction and maintaining a quiet ride.”
Goodyear has claimed that the ElectricDrive 2 is designed to fit electric vehicles like the Chevy Bolt EV, among others.