The UAW’s targeted strike against the Big Three Detroit automakers continues following last week’s walkout at GM, Ford, and Stellantis. Negotiations between union representatives and the three automakers are ongoing, but reportedly not making much progress. If no resolution is found, it’s possible the UAW will expand the strike to include additional production facilities sometime this week.
According to a report from Reuters, talks between the UAW and all three automakers resumed on Sunday. The UAW called for a strike following the expiration of the previous auto labor contracts on Thursday, September 14the. This is reportedly the first time in which the UAW has called for a strike against all three of the Big Detroit automakers at the same time.
UAW President Shawn Fain addressed the strikes in an appearance on MSNBC on Sunday, saying that while talks are ongoing, progress has been slow thus far.
“I don’t really want to say we’re closer,” Fain said. “It’s a shame that the companies didn’t take our advice and get down to business form the beginning of bargaining back in mid-July.”
It’s estimated that roughly 12,700 UAW members are currently on strike at three separate production facilities, including the GM Wentzville plant in Missouri, Ford’s Wayne Assembly plant in Michigan, and the Stellantis Toledo Assembly Complex in Ohio. The walkouts have affected production of several popular models across all three automakers, including the Chevy Colorado, the Ford Bronco, and the Jeep Wrangler, among others.
Fain was asked on CBS Face the Nation if the UAW would call for further walkouts this week, to which the UAW President responded that union members were “prepared to do whatever we have to do.” Analysts predict that the UAW’s next move may be to target bigger profit-makers, such as the Chevy Silverado, the Ford F-150, and Ram pickup. General Motors told workers at the GM Fairfax plant that the strike will affect operations at the facility.