The 2023 Chevy Colorado ushers in a third generation for the pickup truck, debuting a long list of updates highlighted by new exterior styling, an overhauled cabin space, and a new powertrain as well. Now, GM Authority has learned that the Chevy Colorado ZR2 Desert Boss Special Edition package will not return for the 2024 model year. The Desert Boss Special Edition package is exclusive to the 2023 Chevy Colorado ZR2.
Tagged with RPO code ZDB, the Desert Boss Special Edition package for the 2023 Chevy Colorado ZR2 adds in a number of features that enhance the pickup’s off-road-worthiness and styling, including (relevant RPO codes and feature exclusivity listed in parentheses):
- Black nameplates (RIK)
- Bed-mounted sport bar with “ZR2” sail panel (SBY, exclusive to package)
- Off-Road front bumper with safari bar (SD0, exclusive to package)
- 17-inch beadlock-capable wheels (SMY, exclusive to package)
- 40-inch roof off-road light bar (S3X, exclusive to package)
- Underbody camera (UXA)
- Auxiliary Power Distribution Box (VBP, exclusive to package)
- Front Fender Decal Package (5K5, exclusive to package)
- Tailgate Decal Package (SB7, exclusive to package)
- Bodyside Decal Package (DSA, exclusive to package)
At this point, it’s unclear if the features that are exclusive to Desert Boss Special Edition package will be available for the Chevy Colorado in subsequent model years, either as optional upgrades or as part of a package. That said, Chevrolet is gearing up to offer a new Chevy Colorado ZR2 Bison for the 2024 model year, which may explain why the Desert Boss Special Edition package is only offered for a single model year.
Of course, it bears mentioning that the while the 2023 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Desert Boss Special Edition and 2024 Chevy Colorado ZR2 Bison are both off-roaders, there are quite a few differences between the two, with the Desert Boss framed as more of a desert runner, and the Bison framed as more of a hardcore off-roader.
As a reminder, the third-generation Chevy Colorado features the turbocharged 2.7L I4 L2R engine in base trim levels, while the turbocharged 2.7L I4 L3B engine is available with two outputs depending on the trim level selected. Chevy Colorado ZR2 variants are equipped with the 2.7L Turbo High-Output, which is rated at 310 horsepower and 430 pound-feet of torque.