Most GMC Hummer EV Reservations For Pickup5
The GMC Hummer EV introduces a brand-new, battery-driven take on the iconic off-roader nameplate, offering a fusion of cutting-edge all-electric vehicle technology and impressive capability in the rough stuff. Notably, most GMC Hummer EV reservations are for the Pickup body style, rather than the SUV body style.
During a recent media briefing, Global Vice President of Buick, GMC, and GMC Hummer EV at General Motors, Duncan Aldred told GM Authority Executive Editor Alex Luft that GMC Hummer EV reservations were split 60/40 to 70/30 in favor of the Pickup body style.
Of course, it’s worth mentioning that reservations for the GMC Hummer EV Pickup opened up roughly a year prior to those for the GMC Hummer EV SUV. Once reservations for the SUV were made available, reservations were made equally between the two body styles.
Nevertheless, Aldred previously stated late in 2021 that GM anticipated the GMC Hummer EV SUV to marginally outsell the Pickup model, stating that the SUV was expected to make up 60 percent of sales, with the Pickup accounting for the remaining 40 percent. Obviously, that ratio is currently flipped.
GM is now no longer taking reservations for the GMC Hummer EV, for either body style. As GM Authority covered last September, GM is holding roughly 90,000 reservations for the GMC Hummer EV Pickup and SUV. Interestingly, 75 percent of Hummer EV reservation holders are new to the GMC brand.
Moving forward, GMC Hummer EV production is expected to ramp up significantly through the second half of the 2023 calendar year. GM’s recently opened Ultium Cells plant in Warren, Ohio will help to support this production increase with new battery cells, while it was announced early last December that the GM Ultium Cells battery plant in Spring Hill, Tennessee will receive an additional $275 million investment to increase battery cell production.
As a reminder, the GMC Hummer EV features GM Ultium batteries and GM Ultium Drive motors, while the GM BT1 platform provides the underpinnings. Production takes place at the GM Factory Zero facility in Michigan.
Subscribe to GM Authority for more GMC Hummer news, GMC news, and around-the-clock GM news coverage.
- Sweepstakes Of The Month: Win a 2023 Corvette Z06 Convertible. Details here.
Hummer pick-up popularity is probably because it had a headstart.