The 2023 GMC Sierra 1500 AT4X adds a bevy of off-roading goodies to the full-size pickup to enhance its already-impressive all-terrain capabilities. New for 2023 was the addition of select American Expedition Vehicles (AEV) tidbits on the “standard” Sierra AT4X, and now, the corresponding price adjustment has been announced.
The new 2023 GMC Sierra AT4X now starts at $83,595, including the destination freight charge. This represents a $3,395 increase over the early-build 2023 Sierra AT4X, which started at $80,200. This price bump is related to the addition of the following equipment as standard affair:
- AEV stamped steel front and rear bumpers with heavy-duty recovery points and winch capability
- Hot-stamped boron steel front approach skid plate
- Grille with gloss Black header and insert bars with dark nickel accents
- 33-inch Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires
A minor but interesting detail to note is that a $100 hike in destination freight charge is included in the overall price increase. Destination is now $1,895 instead of $1,795.
Despite the addition of the AEV equipment, the 2023 GMC Sierra AT4X is largely a carry-over of the refreshed 2022 model. However, new for 2023 is the GMC Sierra 1500 AT4X AEV Edition. Regarded as the most off-road-capable factory Sierra 1500 ever produced, this all-new trim level adds the following equipment over the “normal” AT4X:
- Five hot-stamped boron steel skid plates (including front approach, steering gear, transfer case, fuel tank and rear differential)
- Race-inspired, laser-engraved 18-inch AEV Salta wheels in gloss black finish with AEV’s recessed valve system for added protection
- Updated front grille and fascia to accommodate the new bumper and larger tires, gloss black door handles and a black contrast inner tailgate
- AEV branding, including on bumpers, embroidered headrests and all-weather floor liners
- Available off-road rocker panel protectors to help shield the sills and frame rails and an optional bolt-on step assist when not off-roading
In total, the 2023 AT4X AEV Edition features 11 extra components over the AT4X trim.
As for powertrain, both these Sierra AT4X variants are exclusively available with GM’s naturally aspirated 6.2L V8 L87 gasoline engine, which produces 420 horsepower and 460 pound-feet of torque, and is mated to the GM 10-speed automatic transmission.