Having received a refresh for the 2022 model, the 2023 GMC Sierra 1500 brings a few choice updates, such as the addition of standard AEV equipment for the “regular” Sierra AT4X as well as the introduction of the all-new Sierra AT4X AEV Edition. Now, prospective customers can spec the AT4X as they see fit via the GMC online configurator.
The 2023 GMC Sierra AT4X is mostly a carryover from the 2022 model. Standard equipment consists of a two-speed Autotrac transfer case (the AT4X can only be had with 4WD), a two-inch suspension lift with Multimatic DSSV dampers, protective skid plates, and 18-inch machined aluminum wheels.
However, the mid 2023 model year Sierra AT4X will add a few upgrades from the AT4X AEV Edition, including AEV steel front and rear bumpers with heavy-duty tow hooks, a steel front approach skid plate, a new grille with gloss Black header and inserts, and 33-inch Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires.
New for 2023 is the Sierra AT4X AEV Edition. Representing GMC’s ultimate off-road ready machine, this truck comes equipped with a bevy of all-terrain goodies, including:
- AEV stamped steel front and rear bumpers with heavy duty recovery points and winch capability (front bumper)
- Five hot-stamped boron steel skid plates (including front approach, steering gear, transfer case, fuel tank and rear differential)
- Race-inspired, laser-engraved 18-inch AEV Salta wheels in gloss black finish with AEV’s recessed valve system for added protection
- 33-inch Goodyear Wrangler Territory MT tires
- Updated front grille and fascia to accommodate the new bumper and larger tires, gloss black door handles and a black contrast inner tailgate
- AEV branding, including on bumpers, embroidered headrests and all-weather floor liners
- Available off-road rocker panel protectors to help shield the sills and frame rails and an optional bolt-on step assist when not off-roading
It’s worth noting that these trucks are only available in the Crew Cab, Short Box, 4WD configuration. The AT4X starts at $68,595, while the AT4X AEV Edition has a starting MSRP of $83,595.
Under the hood, the Sierra AT4X is offered with two engine options. The first powerplant is the 3.0L I6 LZ0 turbodiesel Duramax engine, while the second is the naturally aspirated 6.2L V8 L87 gasoline engine. Meanwhile, the Sierra AT4X AEV Edition is offered exclusively with the 6.2L V8 L87 engine. Regardless of powerplant option, both trucks are equipped with the GM 10-speed automatic transmission.
As for structure, the AT4X and AT4X AEV Edition ride on the GM T1 platform, which they share with the entire GMC Sierra 1500 lineup. Production takers place at the GM Fort Wayne plant in Indiana and GM Silao plant in Mexico.