TV personality and avid car collector Jay Leno has been released from the hospital after suffering a mix of second- and third-degree burns two weeks ago.
“Comedian Jay Leno was released from the Grossman Burn Center today,” the hospital said in a statement. “Jay will receive follow-up care at the Grossman Outpatient Burn Clinic for burns to his face, chest and hands he received during a fire at his home garage.”
Since the accident, Leno has undergone multiple procedures, including a surgical excision and grafting procedure. Additionally, he underwent hyperbaric oxygen therapy (breathing pure oxygen in a pressurized environment) to slow the progression of his burns.
As a reminder, earlier this November, Leno was working on a 1907 White Steam Car when one of the fuel lines burst, soaking him in gasoline. Immediately, a spark was given off and set the comedian on fire. While the flames did burn the left side of his face, they did not penetrate his eyes or ears.
The Jay Leno’s Garage host credits his survival to his friend, who acted quickly and jumped on him, effectually smothering and putting out the fire.
“Jay would like to let everyone know how thankful he is for the care he received, and is very appreciative of all of the well wishes,” said Aimee Bennett, the director of strategic communications for West Hills Hospital & Medical Center. “He is looking forward to spending Thanksgiving with his family and friends and wishes everyone a wonderful holiday.”