Production of the GMC Hummer EV Pickup began at the GM Factory Zero plant late last year, but with this being a relatively advanced vehicle, GM has not rushed itself in ramping up production of the truck. It will soon begin producing the GMC Hummer EV at a more rapid rate, though, with the company set to increase production at Factory Zero in the second half of 2022.
In its second-quarter earnings report published Friday, GM indicated that it would increase production of the GMC Hummer EV at Factory Zero in the second of this year after it delivered just 99 units of the “electric supertruck” in Q1 and 272 units in Q2 for a total of 371 units in the first six months of 2022.
GM said earlier this year that it had received more than 70,000 pre-orders for the GMC Hummer EV across both the Pickup and SUV model variants. GM said previously that it planned to produce roughly 23,000 examples of the GMC Hummer EV Pickup at Factory Zero this year, meaning the vast majority of vehicles produced there in 2022 will be built over the next six months.
GM said previously that it expects the GMC Hummer EV SUV to outsell the Hummer EV Pickup, with the SUV expected to account for roughly 60 percent of Hummer EV sales and the pickup taking the remaining 40 percent. The 2024 GMC Hummer EV SUV will be built alongside the pickup at Factory Zero, however it won’t enter production until next year. Roughly 75 percent of the people that have reserved a GMC Hummer EV are new to the GMC brand, the automaker recently revealed, while about 70 percent of these reservation holders say they are s first time EV buyer, as well.
So far, the only GMC Hummer EV Pickup units that have been built are of the range-topping Edition 1. Less well-equipped versions of the Hummer EV Pickup will begin to hit the market once production of the Edition 1 concludes, starting with the EV3X this fall, the EV2X in the spring of 2023 and the entry-level EV2 in early 2024.