Chevy Silverado customers interested in maximizing the utility of their pickup can opt for the Multi-Flex tailgate, which offers multiple positions and configurations for a myriad different uses. Additionally, the Multi-Flex tailgate is also available with the optional Kicker sound system for tunes wherever you may go. As great as the feature is, it’s not exactly obvious how to use the system, including pairing it with a smartphone. For that very reason, GM Authority is bringing you this step-by-step guide on how to use the Chevy Silverado Multi-Flex Tailgate Kicker Sound System.
First things first: the Chevy Silverado Multi-Flex Tailgate Kicker Sound System operates independently of the stereo system in the cabin, with several different ways to connect. The system integrates directly with the tailgate panel, and provides 100 watts of sound through a pair of four-inch coaxial drivers and an amp. The weather-proofed system is also built to handle whatever may be rolling around in the bed.
With that in mind, let’s now take a look at how to use and pair the Silverado Multi-Flex Kicker Sound System.
Pairing Via Bluetooth
- Drop the Chevy Silverado Multi-Flex tailgate into its full-width step configuration, which can be done by pressing the upper tailgate button, followed by the lower tail gate button.
- Doing so should enable the backlight on the Kicker sound system control panel, indicating the system is on.
- Toggle through the various input options using the power button. Input options include Bluetooth, Aux, and USB, as indicated by the three symbols to the left of the Kicker graphic.
- To pair a Bluetooth device, press and hold the Play / Pause button until the Bluetooth icon starts flashing. This indicates the system is now in pairing mode.
- With the pairing mode enabled, go to the Bluetooth settings on your device and select the Kicker system. The system should now be ready to start playing music.
Note that the device may not connect if it is already paired with the vehicle’s in-cabin infotainment system and the Silverado is running or in auxiliary mode. If this is the case, either turn off the truck or temporarily disconnect the system from the device, which can be done either inside the truck or from the device.
Using An Auxiliary Cable
The Chevy Silverado Multi-Flex Kicker Sound System can also connect using an auxiliary cable. To do so:
- Toggle the power button until the Aux icon is lit.
- Plug in the device using an Aux cord connected to the Aux input on the tailgate to the left of the control panel.
- Enjoy your tunes.
Using A USB Cable
The system can also be connected using a USB connection. To do so:
- Use the power button to select the USB icon, then connect your device using a USB cable plugged into the USB input located on the tailgate to the left of the control panel.
- The USB connection will also charge your device. Additionally, the USB connection can play WMA and MP3 audio files directly from a USB storage device, such as a USB flash drive or USB thumb drive.
The system will automatically power off as soon as the tailgate’s full-width step is folded (closed) or the tailgate is returned to the upright position. Alternatively, users can press and hold the power button until the control panel is no longer lit.