General Motors has so far received more than 65,000 pre-orders for the GMC Hummer EV Pickup and SUV, with initial demand for the battery-electric vehicle exceeding the automaker’s expectations.
As GM Authority reported previously, GM has plans to produce roughly 23,000 examples of the GMC Hummer EV Pickup this year, which is more than the automaker had initially planned to build. This was in response to higher-than-expected demand for the vehicle, with GM receiving 59,000 pre-orders by early February of this year – a number that has now climbed to over 65,000.
While GM is happy with the demand for the vehicle, it now faces the rather laborious task of getting these vehicles to buyers as quickly as possible – and it still may take a couple of years for most reservations made this year to be fulfilled, GMC boss Duncan Aldred told CNBC this week.
“What we’re looking at now is how can we build the maximum amount and how can we deliver, fulfill these reservations as quickly as possible?” Aldred said. “We’re doing all the studies on that and we’re confident we can go a lot quicker than we originally thought, but it still means a reservation now probably means delivering in (2024).”
GM has said that it expects the GMC Hummer EV SUV to outsell the Hummer EV Pickup, with the SUV making up 60 percent of Hummer EV sales and the pickup taking the remaining 40 percent. The 2024 GMC Hummer EV SUV will be built alongside the pickup at GM’s Factory Zero plant in Detroit, however it won’t enter production until 2023.
GM sold one GMC Hummer EV Edition 1 in December – the first production example it built at Factory Zero. We’ll get a clearer picture as to how many examples of the pickup it has delivered this Friday, when the automaker reports its first-quarter sales results for 2022. Production of the vehicle is still in its early stages at the newly renovated Factory Zero plant and is expected to ramp up throughout 2022.
Aldred also told CNBC this week that its plans to increase production at Factory Zero will carry over into next year, as well, saying the company is “going to build quite significantly more than our original plan,” for the 2023 fiscal year.