General Motors has produced the Chevy Trax since 2013, with the small crossover first arriving stateside in 2015. Although the Chevy Trax is offered with both front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive, a substantial 80 percent of Chevy Trax production is in fact equipped with the latter.
In addition to the majority of Chevy Trax production being all-wheel drive, 70 percent of Trax models produced are the range-topping LT trim level, while the remaining 30 percent are the base LS trim level. Just two trim levels are currently offered in the U.S.
Under the hood, the current 2022 Chevy Trax features the turbocharged 1.4-liter inline four-cylinder LE2 gasoline engine, which is rated at 155 horsepower at 5,600 rpm and 177 pound-feet of torque between 2,000 rpm and 4,000 rpm. The LE2 also features Variable Valve Timing and Spark Ignition Direct Injection.
The LE2 replaces the turbocharged 1.4L inline four-cylinder LUV gasoline engine previously offered by the Chevy Trax. General Motors officially changed the engine spec late in the nameplate’s 2021 model year. Notably, the 2022 Chevy Trax also includes an engine block heater, rather than an oil pan heater as equipped previously. Harnessing the output is the GM six-speed automatic transmission with overdrive and Driver Shift Control, which is equipped on both front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive models.
As GM Authority exclusively covered late last month, General Motors is changing the way in which dealers order the Chevy Trax crossover, as well as the Chevy Trailblazer. Dealers originally ordered both crossovers using the regular “consensus” model, wherein dealers would request which vehicles they would like from the factory, which was done at regular intervals (or order cycles, aka DOSP). By contrast, GM is now implementing a “port consensus” model wherein GM directly decides which vehicles are built and shipped, with dealers selecting the models they want at the port.