A pre-production version of the refreshed 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 in the XLT trim level and equipped with the available X31 off-road package was spotted by GM Authority photographers this week.
The X31 off-road package will return to the GMC Sierra nameplate for the refreshed 2022 model year and will be optional on the Sierra Pro, SLE, Elevation and SLT trim levels. It requires 4WD and either the Double Cab or Crew Cab body style, meaning it is not available on Sierra Pro Regular Cab.
As some readers may already know, the X31 package is the GMC equivalent of the Z71 off-road package available on the Chevy Silverado 1500 and includes similar equipment. Here’s what the X31 off-road package will include when applied to the refreshed 2022 GMC Sierra 1500:
- Off-Road suspension
- Hill Descent Control (RPO code JHD)
- Skid plates (RPO NZZ)
- Heavy-duty air filter (RPO K47)
- X31 hard badge
- Auto-locking rear differential (Sierra Pro only) (RPO G80)
- 2-speed transfer case (Sierra Pro, SLE, SLT only) (RPO NQH)
- Rear wheelhouse liners (SLE, Elevation only) (RPO B1J)
- 18″ 6-spoke machined aluminum wheels with Dark Grey Metallic accents (SLE only) (RPO UHN)
- 265/65R18SL all-terrain, blackwall tires (SLE, SLT only) (RPO XCK)
- 275/60R20SL all-terrain, blackwall tires (Elevation only) (RPO QAE)
- 2-speed Auto-Trac transfer case (SLE, Elevation only) (RPO NQH)
- Dual exhaust (SLE, Elevation, SLT only) (RPO N10)
This pre-production 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT is easily identifiable as an X31-equipped truck thanks to the red and silver ‘X31’ badge on the rear bed section, along with its slightly raised suspension, 18-inch 6-spoke wheels and all-terrain tires. Other key equipment is out of sight, such as the underbody skidplates and two-speed transfer case.
As noted above, the X31 package will be available with the Sierra Pro, SLE, Elevation and SLT trim levels. This means it will be available with all four of the Sierra’s engines (trim level dependent), which include the turbocharged 2.7L L3B I-4, naturally aspirated 5.3L L84 V8, 3.0L LM2 I-6 turbodiesel Duramax and naturally aspirated 6.2L L87 V8.
The refreshed 2022 GMC Sierra 1500 will hit dealers in the first quarter of the 2022 calendar year. Pricing for the entry-level Pro trim starts at $32,495 including destination, while the range-topping Denali Ultimate is priced from $80,395. It’s currently not clear how much the X31 package will cost.