President Joe Biden recently said that GM CEO Mary Barra agreed to let him drive a future electric Corvette.
Biden made the statement during a recent White House event playing host to the Big Three domestic automakers, which included attendance by Jim Farley from Ford, Mark Stewart from Stellantis, and Mary Barra from General Motors. During a speech given at the event, Biden indicated that he was given the go-ahead from the GM CEO to drive a future electric Corvette model.
“And I want to say publicly, I have a commitment from Mary when they make the first electric Corvette, I get to drive it,” Biden said, laughing. “Right, Mary? You think I’m kidding. I’m not kidding. And my entire Secret Service detail went, ‘Oh my God. Let’s go.’”
The recent White House event follows a Biden administration executive order signed last week aimed at driving EV sales to 50 percent market share by 2030. The new executive order was supported by General Motors, Stellantis, and Ford, as well as foreign automakers including Hyundai and Toyota.
Biden, who owns a 1967 Chevy Corvette and is a self-described car guy, has talked about a possible battery-electric Corvette before, saying that such a model was capable of achieving a top speed of 200 mph.
While we have no official information on a new all-electric Corvette model, the upcoming C8-based Corvette E-Ray will come equipped with a hybrid version of the current C8 Corvette Stingray’s 6.2L V8 LT2 gasoline engine, pumping out roughly 600 horsepower. In addition, Chevy will offer a hybrid version of the C8 Corvette ZR1 called the Zora, which will have a hybrid version of the twin-turbo 5.5L V8 LT7 making upwards of 1,000 horsepower.
It’s possible Biden may have confused the hybrid Corvette models with an all-electric version.
President Biden: “I’ve got a commitment from [GM CEO Mary Barra], when they make the first electric Corvette, I get to drive it… You think I’m kidding, I’m not kidding.” pic.twitter.com/sypl9G7a5U
— The Hill (@thehill) August 5, 2021