The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and General Motors have issued a recall for certain examples of the Chevy Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD over an issue related to the engine block heater.
The problem: in affected vehicles, an electrical short-circuit may occur in the cable for the engine block heater, or in the terminals that connect the heater cable to the block heater.
The hazards: if the engine block heater cable or terminals short circuit, there would be an increased risk of fire.
The fix: GM dealers will be instructed to disable the engine block heater in affected vehicles. The automaker will provide free replacement block heaters and cords under a separate customer satisfaction campaign at a later date. This recall is only for Chevy Silverado HD and GMC Sierra HD trucks with the optional 6.6L Duramax V8 diesel engine and the optional block heater.
Affected components: engine block heater, engine block heater cable.
- 2017-2019 Chevy Silverado HD (with optional 6.6L Duramax V8 and engine block heater)
- 2017-2019 GMC Sierra HD (with optional 6.6L Duramax V8 and engine block heater)
Number of affected vehicles: a total of 331,274 vehicles are affected by this particular issue.
Owners should: GM will notify owners of affected vehicles and instruct them to make an appointment with their dealer. Owner notification letters are expected to be mailed August 16th, 2021. If owners are unsure whether or not their vehicle is affected by this recall, they can visit my.gm.com/
- NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V496000
- GM recall number: N212329840
- Chevrolet Customer Service: 1-800-222-1020
- GMC Customer Service: 1-800-462-8782
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153