The problem: in affected trucks, the roof-rail air bag (RRAB) inflator end cap may detach from the inflator. Separately, the inflator sidewall in these vehicles may also be prone to rupture.
The hazards: a separated inflator end cap or inflator rupture can allow compressed gas to escape, resulting in the end cap or other components being propelled into the vehicle, increasing the risk of injury or crash.
The fix: dealers will be instructed to replace the roof rial airbag inflator end cap. These repairs will be performed at no cost to the vehicle owner.
Affected components: roof rail airbag inflator, roof rial airbag inflator end cap.
- 2015-2016 Chevy Silverado 1500
- 2015-2016 Chevy Silverado 2500HD
- 2015-2016 Chevy Silverado 3500HD
- 2015-2016 GMC Sierra 1500
- 2015-2016 GMC Sierra 2500HD
- 2015-2016 GMC Sierra 3500HD
Number of affected vehicles: a total of 410,019 trucks are involved in this recall campaign.
Owners should: GM will notify owners of affected vehicles and instruct them to make an appointment with their dealer. Interim notification letters will be mailed out on August 16, 2021. Owners will then receive a second notice when a repair is available. If owners are unsure whether or not their vehicle is affected by this recall, they can visit my.gm.com/
- NHTSA Campaign Number: 21V504000
- GM recall number: N202324251
- Chevrolet Customer Service: 1-800-222-1020
- GMC Customer Service: 1-800-462-8782
- NHTSA Toll Free: 1-888-327-4236
- NHTSA (TTY): 1-800-424-9153