A Chevy Bolt EV owned by a Vermont state representative spontaneously caught fire while sitting in his driveway earlier this month.
Vermont Rep. Timothy Briglin told Automotive News his 2019 Chevy Bolt EV was charging in his driveway the night of June 30 when it suddenly caught fire. The vehicle was involved in the recall of 69,000 Chevy Bolt EV vehicles that General Motors issued earlier this year due to fire concerns, however, it already underwent repairs as part of the recall on June 9.
“Fortunately, there were no injuries as a result of this incident,” GM said in a prepared statement regarding the vehicle fire. “We have reached out to the customer and are actively investigating the incident and gathering additional information to understand the specific circumstances.”
GM recalled certain examples of the Chevy Bolt EV last year after it received numerous reports from owners of the vehicle’s battery pack overheating and catching fire – typically while the vehicle was parked or charging. The automaker issued a recall for affected vehicles in April, which instructed dealers to inspect the battery packs of affected vehicles and install an onboard diagnostic software capable of detecting major problems with the battery before they occur. Dealers were also instructed to replace the battery entirely in some vehicles. It’s not clear what kind of repairs were performed on Briglin’s vehicle.
Briglin told Automotive News that prior to the fire, he was enjoying his ownership experience with the vehicle.
“Clearly any consumer product has to be safe, and clearly the particular car that I owned had a catastrophic event,” he said. “Prior to that, I’d had a very good experience with the electric vehicle.”
GM has also bought back some Chevy Bolt EV models involved in the recalls through a buyback program, while another owner was able to trade their vehicle in for a brand new 2022 Chevy Bolt EV at no extra cost. GM is only offering the buyback program in certain states.