The 2022 Chevy Equinox will offer Automatic Parking Assist on the range-topping Premier trim level only. The technology will be bundled as part of the Driver Confidence III package, which is automatically added to Premier trim models that are equipped with the $1,745 Confidence & Convenience II package.
Automatic Parking Assist helps drivers easily reverse or maneuver into parking spaces. The system works in the following sequence:
- Driver presses the Automatic Park Assist button, activating the system to search for a parallel parking space
- Press and hold the same button to switch between parallel and perpendicular parking modes
- System automatically looks for parking spots on the right
- To find a parking spot on the left, the driver must activate the left turn signal
- System provides step-by-step using beeps and instructions in the instrument cluster, such as “stop”, “drive in reverse”, and “parking complete”
- The vehicle does all the necessary steering
- The driver shifts into Forward and Reverse gears and applies throttle
- During the parking process, the system continues to display object detection warnings (such as distance to object messages) and, if equipped, pulses from the Safety Alert Seat (or low-pitched beeps)
In short, Automatic Parking Assist takes care of the steering aspect of the parking process, while the driver is responsible for braking, acceleration and gear shifting as needed. The user manual for the 2022 Chevy Equinox also makes it clear that drivers “must always be prepared to apply braking or additional acceleration, as needed,” when using the system.
The 2022 Chevy Equinox represents the first model year of the mid-cycle enhancement for the compact crossover. The refreshed Chevy Equinox was originally set to arrive for the 2021 model year, but complications stemming from the COVID-19 pandemic forced GM to push back the facelifted model’s arrival to the 2022 model year. In addition to the revised exterior styling, the 2022 Chevy Equinox will also introduce a sporty new RS trim level.