Specifically, the recommendation was for dealers to order 60 percent of their Chevy Spark inventory in the (base) LS trim level with no options. The remaining 40 percent should be in the higher LT trim level. Of the LT cars, 20 percent (or eight percent of the total) are to be of the Special Edition, which was introduced in 2020. Curiously, there currently appears to be no focus on ordering the Spark Activ trim.
- All models offered with 5-speed manual or with CVT
The focus on the LS model suggests that price is a major consideration for shoppers, which would make sense given that Spark is the most affordable of all the GM models sold in the U.S. and Canada. The base LS with five-speed manual transmission, priced to start at $14,595 including $995 destination charge, is the lowest priced car currently on sale in the U.S. The cheapest version of the Mitsubishi Mirage is $695 more expensive at $15,290, including destination.
Sales Numbers - Mainstream City Cars - Q1 2021 - United States
|MODEL||Q1 21 / Q1 20||Q1 21||Q1 20||Q1 21 SHARE||Q1 20 SHARE|
The Chevy Spark is by no means GM’s most profitable model, but it is dominating the mainstream city cars segment in the U.S. With the discontinuation of the Fiat 500, the Mitsubishi Mirage represents the only competition. Although the Japanese model’s share of the segment increased six percentage points to 38 percent in Q1 2021,, it is still being outsold by the Spark by nearly two to one.
The Spark is assembled at the GM Changwon factory in South Korea, and rides on the GM Gamma 2 platform. The only available engine is the naturally aspirated 1.4L I4 LV7, which makes 98 horsepower and 94 pound-feet of torque, and drives exclusively the front wheels. Customers have the choice of a five-speed manual gearbox or a continuously variable transmission (CVT).
Very few changes are expected for the next model year, so the 2022 Chevy Spark is likely to differ from the current version only to the extent of having a handful of new exterior colors, and maybe some slight changes to equipment within trim levels.