The Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra collectively missed out on the best-selling spot in the full-size pickup truck segment during the first quarter of 2021. A combined 189,508 units of full-size GM trucks – the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra – were sold during the first three months of 2021, 14,289 units less than the 203,797 deliveries reported for the Ford F-Series range, which includes the F-150 as well as the Super Duty range.
GM vs. Ford Full-Size Pickup Truck Sales - Q1 2021 - USA
|MODEL||Q1 21 / Q1 20||Q1 21||Q1 20||YTD 21 SHARE||YTD 20 SHARE|
|RAM RAM PICKUP||+15.55%||148,836||128,805||26%||24%|
Cumulatively, the Silverado and Sierra held a 33 percent market share in Q1 2021, down 4 percentage points from the year-ago quarter. Meanwhile, the Ford F-Series grew segment share by 1 percentage point to 36 percent.
Individually, the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra saw 126,591 and 62,917 deliveries, respectively, during Q1 2021. The results represent a decline of 13 percent for the Silverado and a 19 percent growth for the Sierra.
GM Full-Size Pickup Truck Sales - Q1 2021 - USA
|MODEL||Q1 21 / Q1 20||Q1 21||Q1 20||Q1 21 SHARE||Q1 20 SHARE|
By comparison, the F-Series saw a 9 percent increase in sales volume, which we attribute to the all-new, 14th-gen 2021 F-150 gaining traction in the market due to heightened consumer awareness along with a more stabile inventory and supply compared to the previous quarter.
Comparatively, supply of the Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra “was tightly bound”, according to GM Vice President of U.S. Sales, Service and Marketing, Steve Hill. As such, it seems safe to conclude that the two GM trucks would have sold even better had supply been more favorable.
Overall GM sales increased 4 percent to 642,250 units during Q1 2021 as the Detroit-based automaker along with the auto industry as a whole navigated a very difficult landscape stemming from challenges associated with the COVID-19 pandemic. All automakers, including GM, faced a semiconductor shortage, which stems from disruptions to the supply chain during the pandemic.
About The Numbers
- Chevrolet Silverado sales figures include all Silverado models and variants, including:
- All Silverado 1500 / Light Duty
- All Silverado Heavy Duty (2500HD and 3500HD)
- All Silverado Medium Duty (4500HD, 5500HD, 6500HD)
- GMC Sierra sales figures include all Sierra models and variants, including:
- All Sierra 1500 / Light Duty
- All Sierra Heavy Duty (2500HD and 3500HD)
- Ford F-Series sales figures include:
- All F-150 / Light Duty
- All F-Series Super Duty, including:
- F-Series sales do not include Ford Heavy Trucks (F-650 and F-750), which accounted for 3,623 deliveries during Q1 2021